• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3.55's + AX-15 = worth the time?

MoonScryer

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 96 w/ an AX-15, stock 3.07's on 32" M/T's. I have a set of 3.55 auto axles sitting around. Is the swap worth the time? I know 3.55's aren't much higher, but they got to be some what better than 307's.

I did do the gear math thing on tire size, and came to 3.63, so its pretty close.

I'm tired of stalling out all the time. Ever slid down a grass hill from stalling out? Not fun, especially with another Jeep behind you.

Well I run an AX-15 w/ 32x11.5 BFG Mud's. I've got 4:11's, but would not have minded 4:56's. Personally to go just to 3:55's is a waste. It's like compromising. I know I need more gearing than 3.07's & I have some 3:55's that should be better than nothing.:sure:

I would say go at least 4:11's & lean more towards 4.56's Do it right or do it again.

Rob $.02

I just did this swap on my '99. Its an easy swap. Id say its worth it. Im running 33's and I can justify using 4th gear now. And its free, minus the labor.

Blazair said:
I just did this swap on my '99. Its an easy swap. Id say its worth it. Im running 33's and I can justify using 4th gear now. And its free, minus the labor.

what about 5th gear?

The only time I use 5th is dowhill with a tailwind. :)
With the stock 3.07's I rarely used 4th.
Now with 3.55's I can use 4th gear above 50mph or so.

To answer some of the questions:

No, I won't be regearing any time soon; I just don't have the cash for it.

I got the axles for free (front) and $30 (rear, has completely new drum/hardware setup and all seals!!) so the only thing I will replace money wise is the front axle upper arm bushings. I have new calipers, unit bearings, etc to pull off my 3.07's.

MoonScryer said:
To answer some of the questions:

No, I won't be regearing any time soon; I just don't have the cash for it.

I got the axles for free (front) and $30 (rear, has completely new drum/hardware setup and all seals!!) so the only thing I will replace money wise is the front axle upper arm bushings. I have new calipers, unit bearings, etc to pull off my 3.07's.

i would do it, its just a matter of your time

i have 31's, 5sp with 4.10 and love it. i could not imagine 33's and 3.07.

3.55 would suck less, but still suck though.

89xj said:
3.55 would suck less, but still suck though.
Agreed.

Less suckage > more suckage

I have 33s and had 4.10s when I broke my 35 two months ago. I had to swap in a 3.55 axle while I waited to get my 44 geared. 3.55 and 33s is way better than the 3.07s and 32s I had before the 4.10s. If you can't regear for a while its worth it you'll get 5th back(go 4.88 when you decide to do gears)

If all it is costing is your time and effort, I don't see why not. 3.55's will make a difference, not as good as 4.11 or 4.56, but something is better than nothing (especially when its free). Just my .02

What is a good price to get a set of 4.11 or 4.56 gears in my 1991 axles. I currently have 3.55 and HATE them. The XJ has a 2.8 V6 so it ain't like I have unlimited power and it is SLOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seems to be too high for on the trail. I am constantly on the brake and clutch while on the trails because it just wants to GO. Would the 4.11 or 4.56 be a good swap for what I am describing? I had 3.73 gears and they seemed to be much better but like the guy that started this thread, I was on a limited budget (still am too) when my rear pinion busted and got the front and rear 3.55 for $150 complete. The axles are D30 and D35 by the way.
Thanks.

Depending on how your local u pull it type yards charge, I got my 4.10 axles for about $100 an axle. Pull them out of a 4-banger with an auto should be 4.10.

MoonScryer said:
I've got a 96 w/ an AX-15, stock 3.07's on 32" M/T's. I have a set of 3.55 auto axles sitting around. Is the swap worth the time? I know 3.55's aren't much higher, but they got to be some what better than 307's.

I did do the gear math thing on tire size, and came to 3.63, so its pretty close.

I'm tired of stalling out all the time. Ever slid down a grass hill from stalling out? Not fun, especially with another Jeep behind you.

i would go for it, definately.

:NAXJA:

tow2topgun said:
I am just wanting to swap the gears. not the whole axles.

cost for gear sets, possibly new carrier, install kit, and installation cost: $900-$1400. biggest factor in price difference is the installation cost.

tow2topgun said:
I am just wanting to swap the gears. not the whole axles.

It's way cheaper to grab axles at the pull-n-save though. It's also faster to swap axles than regearing. The longest part would probably be bleeding the rear brakes when your done. Last time I swapped out the front on my MJ, it took about 75 minutes.

Back