• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bumpstop questions

Rod Knee

NAXJA Forum User
I'm getting all my ducks in a row to do a slight lift, shooting for about 2 inches. Needed to put newer/stronger leaf packs in the back so I figured to add the 2 inches to compensate for the trailer hitch while I'm at it. I plan to remove the rear sway bar which will give more flex than I've had and just stick with my 235's for now since they have very few miles on them. Might go to a 30 inch or at most 31 inch tire at some point in the future. I need to do something about my stock rear bumpstops, one of them is in bad shape near one of the bolt holes and really just "hanging in there by a thread".

My question is: would it be best to replace these rear bumpstops with stock height bumpstops, or go to some longer ones?:confused:

Rod Knee said:
My question is: would it be best to replace these rear bumpstops with stock height bumpstops, or go to some longer ones?:confused:

You dont need to, unless you are rubbing. You can always make or buy a spacer that will go under the stock bumpstops.You can also make or buy a bolt on bumpstop that goes on the leaf spring plates.

and remember you can always get some at the junkyard for next to nothing, and rustys offroad has some rear ones that are 2 inches taller then stock if i remember correctly

CanMan said:
You dont need to, unless you are rubbing. You can always make or buy a spacer that will go under the stock bumpstops.You can also make or buy a bolt on bumpstop that goes on the leaf spring plates.

Well, I guess was really wondering if I might experience some rubbing after taking out the rear sway bar. I was thinking that I might need to weld new ones on if the old bolts snap off as they are known to do, in which case further modifications would be more difficult. Bumpstops that bolt on to the leaf plates might be the ticket though. Know who sells them?

Rod Knee said:
Well, I guess was really wondering if I might experience some rubbing after taking out the rear sway bar. I was thinking that I might need to weld new ones on if the old bolts snap off as they are known to do, in which case further modifications would be more difficult. Bumpstops that bolt on to the leaf plates might be the ticket though. Know who sells them?

You shouldnt rub if you take off the rear sway bar.

I forget who sells the bolt on kit for the plates, but it was spendy, and you can build yourself one for pennies on the dollar.

Back