• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no bus code

aparke4

NAXJA Forum User
yesterday i was enjoying wonderful weather and a great trail ride until i turned my jeep off to watch some mud runs and when i get back in the jeep to turn it on it turns over and doesnt fire - then about 10 seconds later check engine light comes on and no bus reads on the odometer. so we check every fuse, relay, etc but to no avail. i loose all pressure in fuel rail and none of the gauges read anything. i have been driving this jeep about oce every 3 days. gas tank was full prior to trail ride and it ran good for 2 hours of medium riding! so anyone encounter this code?

99 xj sport 4.0 I6

X2 on crank sensor, no bus just means the ecu isn't talking to the cluster. obd1 or obd2?

silent_bob_662001 said:
X2 on crank sensor, no bus just means the ecu isn't talking to the cluster. obd1 or obd2?

Shouldn't you know that before handing out advice? Just by the year tells me what it is. :rolleyes:

On obd2 the ecu need to see the crank is turning before it sets the ignitiaon in motion. Pull a plug wire, see if ya got spark?

where is the CPS located? sorry if this is newbie stuff - i have never dealt with any of the OBD system before... by CPS i am guessing it is my crankshaft position sensor?

does anyone know where it is located? i found the part at the local store for 75 dollars... can i reach it on my own?

yes it sure is! i am lucky i have a good lift on my xj otherwise it would be a pain...

none of the parts stores had one in stock so i have to wait till tuesday... i hope this will solve my cranking and computer issues... otherwise it might be a computer problem

Cool to have a lift but it might still be a pain for hand clearance from body to bellhousing, good news is I'm pretty sure it'll cure what ails you! Pretty common problem. When you take out your old one and make sure it is not broken from being hit by something. Had a friend that had something flinging around and went through 2 of them because he did not "look" at them when he pulled them.:twak: Didn't need to twak him though cause he learned his lesson. I have 3 Cherokees now and am going to get one and a TPS to have in stock.
Good luck and God bless!

aparke4 said:
does anyone know where it is located? i found the part at the local store for 75 dollars... can i reach it on my own?

Top of the bell housing, drivers side. Get all the socket extensions you have and put them together. Use a wobble adapter at the far end. Craw under your XJ and you can just see the 2 metric bolts when you look up and foward from about the tcase. DO NOT drop the bolts into the open area of the bellhousing opening. The plug in is on the drivers side near the firewall.

yep got it - it is an 11 mm for the bolts

no if the part stores would have a cps sensor in stock i would be good

i had a jet chip stage 1 installed for two weeks before the sensor went out so i am taking it out and running the jeep without to see if maybe that shorted something - i have 98k so its about time for stuff like this to go out...

Back