• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dead fuel pump question

beastlyjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Well, the fuel pump finally died (luckily only a block from home on my way home from work.) Just a question for anybody whose pump has let them down. Did the fuel guage go way above full when it wouldnt start? After giving my tank a thourough beating with a rubber mallet (very handy tool at the time) the guage returned to normal and the jeep started. For some reason i have a feelin there may be a bad ground or other wiring fault somwhere. Guess ill just install the new pump and hope it doesnt crap out again. Any feedback?

by the way its an 88 4.0 / poo-geot tranny

hmm Mine died...but I was being stupid. I forgot to disconnect the battery cable when I plugged in the ECU. So I went to crank it and noticed wire smoking. After examining a schematic I started to unload the circuit. First by relays. Then unloaded the ballast resistor and it went away. So I checked the output side of the resistor. There was my ground. Unloaded the conputer as well and the ground was still present. I unloaded the fuel pump and the ground went away. I reconnected everything save the fuel pump for last and that is the problem. This is less than two weeks from when I swapped in a new fuel pump. I went to Carquest yesterday and told the parts gal whats up and she found me a pump. I was suprised to find out how much cheaper the pump is than the Whole assembly. My fuel pump before was fine but the sending unit was all hosed up...it would always read different than what was acutally in the tank. One day I no longer trusted its behavior so I replaced it.

X2 88 4.0 / poo-geot tranny got a ax-15 but too lazy to do that in this weather

Sorry bout jacking the thread with a rant its all yours again beastlyjeep

Im sick of the burger punks working in half the auto parts stores, and the abundance of wrong parts numbers in books... long story short it was sunday night and only one parts store was open (the one i try to avoid). They said there was different 2 pumps in 88 but they only have 1 in stock and there is absolutely no way to tell which one i need blahblahblah... take my pump out notice a few small differences in the new pump that required a bunch of riggin to make it work. now ive got a 200 dollar pump that requires more cranks to start (might need to change elbow shaped hose), and im unsure, yet fairly confidant, in its reliability.

is there a chance this pump may not be the right one for the job, eventhough it appears to run well.

typing sux end rant

'88's had either a 2.2L or the 4.0L engine.
Pressure/flow spec for the 2.2 is 36PSI, with vacume disconnected, and min flow of 2qts/minute.
For the 4.0, the pressure spec is 39PSI with vacume disconnected, and a minimum flow rate of 1 quart/min.
Both pumps have a built in check valve.
Based on the above details, it's not clear that there is actually a difference between the pumps, just the minimums need by the respective engines. But do a pressure, flow rate, and leak-down test on your pump to determine if it meets minimums.

The replacement pump I got from Carquest was a bosch unit that was smaller than the original pump I had to remove the hose and install all the parts that it came with. When I got it in hooked everything back up I rocked the key forward like I always do to hear the pump...nothing then I heard fuel hit the rail. Cranked for a few seconds and it fired up. I wnet got gas and drove it into town and back on a subway run it was fine. I like how quiet the bosch unit is. I can tell that it is running when I am close to it cause its a high pitch whine. Hope this helps out anyone else that may have a fuel problem or need to replace their pump only. The instructions were pretty dang good with color pics and three of four languages. The only time I had to stray from the directions was to install some of the female end spade connectors since the wires were terminated with rings.

Back