• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lincoln welder difference

GroversXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am planning on get me a lincoln 180 mig welder after my next business trip in November, but I have a question about them. I know they have the 180 C which has continous voltage adjustment (which is probably the one I will get), and I know the 180 T has 5 tapped voltage settings but is otherwise the same machine, but what is the "pro mig 180"? I have seen it for sale at Lowes and I have seen it listed on ebay for a much cheaper price ($150 cheaper than the 180 T) but whats is the difference? It too appears to have a tapped voltage settings but what else is defferent (is it made in Mexico, have plastic drive unit, or what)?
Sorry if it seems like a basic question but I've searched for a couple weeks now and still cant find the answer.

I did the same shopping last week and the Lincoln was on the top of my list.
I called a local welding supply and wound up with a Millermatic 180 (made in USA) with cart and bottle for about the same money as setting up the lincoln. He even beat all online prices I could find on his first quote. At least give your local welding supplier a chance to get your biz. It cost me basically tax but I got a ton of info from them in person and now I have sombody to call for advise,parts and supplies. I spent a little over a grand with all the extra tips,wire, supplies and some tools so if you think you will need all that and advise or edjucation then I would recomend you buy from a pro. My local shop turned out to be the best bang for the buck.

I actually weld a lot of aluminum at work on a lincoln tig and use the lincoln mig 255 off and on to weld steel when required so I will have to say I have more time behind the lincolns but I'm not against getting the blue machine or even the repainted grey (hobart) machine but miller is almost $100 more. Quite a few of the guys I work with have gone thru this (looking for a welder) recently in buying a new machine or upgrading machines and the local guys cant touch the prices of Indiana Oxygen and their free shipping online.
I have nothing against the local guys but I know their prices are all based on how well they know you and how much business you give them. I always give my business to wherever I can find the best deal as I have so limmited funds for projects like this with my familys limited budget.

Does anyone know anything about this "pro mig 180" I've seen online and at Lowes?

Well I did more searching and finally found at least part of my answer. The pro mig 180 is manufactured for Lowes and uses a plastic drive unit versus an aluminum drive uniot for the 180 T/C unit. The power mig 180 T/C also has their Diamond core technology (whatever that may be) for better cleaner starts. Here are the specs for the Pro Mig 180 sold at Lowes http://content.lincolnelectric.com/pdfs/products/literature/e727.pdf
Here is the specs on the Power mig 180 T/C http://content.lincolnelectric.com/pdfs/products/literature/e724.pdf
Just in case anyone else is looking at these specific welders I figured I'd post thes links to make it easier on you.

Back