• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where do I get GL-3?

I have run GL-4 for about a year and before that was years of GL-1 from napa(didn't know what to run). I change my diff oil on a regualr basis (about twice a year), as well as after any serious water crossings.

GL-3 isn't a "weight" spec, it's a composition spec.

GL-5 is perfectly acceptable for use in axles. GL-3 is what you want with the AX-15 (and other transmissions using bronze synchroniser rings,) because the sulphur added to GL-5 attacks copper

You can find 80W-90 or 75W-140 in GL-3, GL-4, or GL-5 - use any of those three ratings in axles (with preference for GL-5,) and only GL-3 in the AX-15.

Actually, I recommend a good synthetic for the AX-15. Having tried Napa house brand GL3 in the AX-15, it shifted like crap. Bad enough I though I dorked up the rebuild. Changed in Redline MTL and it shifted great.

I use Pennzoil 75w140 synthetic GL-4 in the Rear diff, and 75w90 synthetic GL-4 in the front diff and AX-15 trans, I also use Pennzoil Multi-ATF in the 231 t-case. All of those specs are equivlent to dealer specs.

Yes, you should be using a quality GL-5 80/90 or 75/85 type lube in the diffs. I wouldent use anything heavier unless towing heavy and in hot weather and thats questionable in a light cherokee. As mentioned GL-3 is free of compounds that eat up syncro rings or "yellow" parts. Generally speaking GL3 non synthetic is pretty tought o find, in synthetic check out some or redlines stuff such as MT90 or MTL.

while on the topic, i need to change my diff fluid. What should i buy? i know its kind of been answered here, but i really have no clue on what to buy. so if someone could point me in the right direction and give me some specifics that would be greatly appreciated.

its a daily driver, no towing.

gijosiahh said:
while on the topic, i need to change my diff fluid. What should i buy? i know its kind of been answered here, but i really have no clue on what to buy. so if someone could point me in the right direction and give me some specifics that would be greatly appreciated.

its a daily driver, no towing.

A good quality GL-5 in the 75w-90 or 80w-90 weights. Valvoline products are good quality. I prefer synthetics, But I admit I am very rough on things

Both the owners manual and the Factory Service Manual specify the required lubricants and the quantity need to fill whatever you are servicing. I highly recommend owning one of each.

Back