• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 And 241 Transfer Case

Bouchie836

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1994 Cherokee with a stock 241 transfer case. My field Jeep that I have has a 242, Is this transfer case better? If so Should I swap the 241 for the 242? Thanks for the input.

The 242 has full-time 4WD which can be really handy in the snowy months (if you get snow or poor weather). Full-time 4WD lets you keep it in 4HI even when the road is patchy with snow and dry pavement, whereas part-time 4WD should never be run on dry pavement.

Since winter is aproaching and I've never had a 4wd vehicle in the snow, I have a question. Is it okay to run the 241 in the snow on the road? If so how fast is acceptable, and for how long of a time?

If there is snow on the road you are OK in 4wd with the 231. If there is not snow on the road, do not run 4wd. The 231 is a part-time case meaning that the front and rear outputs are locked. The consequence is that if you run 4wd while you have full traction you are very likely to bind up the transfer case and break something.

i ran 4hi with my 231( its a 00) on the freeway for about 40 miles, no problems, only cuz my rear shaft was too long, and i couldnt run it...

Last edited:
Okay! I'm in Colorado. The most I will have to use the 4hi is when I go from GJ to Denver & Boulder for X-mas. Other than that I may let the wife use it in town to go to work when it is rainy! Town is only like 20miles wide anyways. But when I'm out wheeling I use 4 Hi for most of the way is that not acceptable?

When wheeling it is fine to use 4hi. Presumably you are wheeling on dirt or rocks. Those do not provide anywhere near as much traction as pavement and will allow the tires to slide rather than bind up the transfer case.

Back