• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Costco, impact wrench, and an abused locking wheel key

rocknxj

NAXJA Forum User
Dang criminals. Costco Tire Center stripped my locking wheel key by blatant and unnecessary use of their impact gun.

Here’s the story. I dropped off my Jeep at Costco for my tire's first rotation since I purchased them. I eagerly handed over my keys and wheel lock key, thinking something as simple as a wheel rotation would be handled quickly and painlessly.

Not so, brothers and sisters of NAXJA. Nearly 2 hours later, my Cherokee was ready for pick up. Key in hand, the counter dude told me that my wheel key was beginning to "strip."

I knew what I was in for. Remember, the key was brand new and I only removed the real wheels once (by hand) to re-torque my u-bolts after my lift install.

I took a quick glance at the battered key and sure enough, that small black hunk of cheap metal was as stripped as a used ho. I became instantly enraged, mostly due to the lack of concern of the Costco Tire guy, as well as the unnecessary abuse my little locking key lug took. Poor thing, it looked worse than Brittany after that aweful MTV music awards show.

Here's the moral. Never let your insensitive tire guy use an impact wrench on your locking tire key. I assumed every semi-intelligent auto worker knew that small detail, but I guessed wrong.

I now need to find a replacement, but that is another story. I love Costco and all its bulk, but man, that was way out of line. Don't ya think?

rocknxj said:
Dang criminals. Costco Tire Center stripped my locking wheel key by blatant and unnecessary use of their impact gun.

Here’s the story. I dropped off my Jeep at Costco for my tire's first rotation since I purchased them. I eagerly handed over my keys and wheel lock key, thinking something as simple as a wheel rotation would be handled quickly and painlessly.

Not so, brothers and sisters of NAXJA. Nearly 2 hours later, my Cherokee was ready for pick up. Key in hand, the counter dude told me that my wheel key was beginning to "strip."

I knew what I was in for. Remember, the key was brand new and I only removed the real wheels once (by hand) to re-torque my u-bolts after my lift install.

I took a quick glance at the battered key and sure enough, that small black hunk of cheap metal was as stripped as a used ho. I became instantly enraged, mostly due to the lack of concern of the Costco Tire guy, as well as the unnecessary abuse my little locking key lug took. Poor thing, it looked worse than Brittany after that aweful MTV music awards show.

Here's the moral. Never let your insensitive tire guy use an impact wrench on your locking tire key. I assumed every semi-intelligent auto worker knew that small detail, but I guessed wrong.

I now need to find a replacement, but that is another story. I love Costco and all its bulk, but man, that was way out of line. Don't ya think?

I use my 700ft lb impact gun on wheel keys all time. Sounds like you bought some crappy wheel locks.

Try buying some Mc Guard style locks, well worth the money.

yeah it is but these mechanics are there all day and do simple tedious repair - i bet i could last there more than a week - anyways when i drop my heep off even for a tire roatation i write out any thing that might come between the mecahnic and the job like a lock lug nut in your case - i cant tell you how many stupid things i have gone through - they at least should pay for replacing your key and locking system... i know it might sound dumb but write in on paper so the mecahnic can double check b/c more than likely it was a long day and i bet it was simply overlooked but there is no escuse for an impact on one of those type of lugs - sorry about that but i dont take my heep to wal-mart or costco for that reason or even jiffy lube. even my trusted mechanics - i write it out for good measure.

Murph

Man....and I take my Jeep to Costco for rotations and balances all the time with no issues...granted I dont have a lock on mine.

I think Costco owe's you a new key....

I use an impact all the time( for a living) but we have torque sticks on the install. they are designed to tighten to a certain torque no matter what.

THAN you have the total oppisite, where the nut are so tight there is no way someone is gonna do a tire change on the side of the road with an OEM wrench.

Think the real lesson should be do not take your Jeep to store that you buy food at to have it worked on. Discount Tire (Americans Tire I think in CA) will meet anyones price, do the work right, and if you happen to have an issue like this they would not hesitate to correct it.

i had that problem at a discount tire shop that mounted my 32s. i had to weld the key on to each of the locks then take a cut off wheel to remove the lug. total PITA! im never buying locking lugs again. its not worth the hassel

If the man is a seasoned, competant mechanic at a competant shop then he'll know his gun and do it right. If he's a flunky or newbie then who knows what might happen. I've been using a gun on locks for years and have'nt had a problem. Just hold it straight and use the trigger properly. Turn the power down if you have to.
You'll probably have less of a chance of damaging the lock than if you use a lug wrench or breaker bar because you're not putting any side force on it and you can use your free hand to hold things straight.
JMHO

Since I got my BFGs at WallyWorld, I make use of their free for life rotation while I get my oil changed. I stand there and watch them the entire time, and make it a point to "make nice" with the manager and "techs". I've actually had THEM remind me never to use an impact on my locking nuts (McGuard, FWIW--they are very nice). They are required to use the torque wrench, then they drive the vehicle around the parking lot, bring it back in and re-torque (all documented on video, they tell me).

when i worked for goodyear back in the day, most of the time we didnt even ask for the key, just put the universal key remover socket on the impact and blasted it right off.... even put it back on the same way

They owe you a new key. I wouldn't have left the store without talking to the manager.

This is why I don't use/like locking lugs. When I bought my Expedition, I had the dealer replace the locking lugs with normal lugs, mainly because they couldn't find the key and I didn't want to mess with it.

I took my last car into my local Sears once and had them do their "brake inspection" before leaving for a long road trip. They stripped 13 of 20 lug studs, and when I found this out, i took the car back in there, and I got this from the manager: "I don't know what kind of condition they were in before". Then, the slightest mention of the BBB, and I had all 20 replaced in front of me, and I watched the mechanic use a torque wrench.

Not sure how well it would work on a business that's part of a national grocery chain, but usually BBB threats are the way to go.

Joe

you deserve a new key and lock nuts period

Ive used an impact on mine numerous times with no issues. Yea maybe your lock key wasnt the best quality but it could have been avoided by not using the impact at the first sight of stripping.

I have bought tires from Wally World and mounted/balanced them my self. I didn't think they would still warranty them but they did.
I would never let them change my oil, one reason is they use Fram filters, the other is that the day I picked up my tires there was a guy in there that had just had his oil changed in his new Ford diesel P/U, he wasn't gone more than ten minutes and was back, "Oil" light on, the drain plug not tight, no oil on dipstick.

What brand locking nuts? I find the lock nuts, especially cheap ones, to be worse than regular lug nuts. They break easily when you get a side load on them, for example a torque wrench or a tire iron on the side of the road. Plus they don't offer much protection. A hammer and a chisel across the top splits the cheaps ones, or just whacking the end with a hammer loosens them enough to spin off by hand. Or the thief has the $6 ez-off socket. Besides, they do unbalance your tires a bit.

I have had two days to really sit and think about this one, fellas. I have read all of our replies and a couple of things come to mine. First, I do believe the damage was caused by improper use of the impact gun. Slight side load and whammo, stripped or damaged locking key.

Secondly, I indeed belive I have purchased an inferior product. I went back to Autozone and inspected the product I purchased back in June. Wouldnt ya know it, it was "made in Taiwan" crap. I am sure the steel is as soft as a lead bullet.

So, what do I really think of this? Not totally sure. I don't think the tire mechanics should have used an impact on my soft metal locking key. I also dont think I should complain too much if I bought cheap crap. Do I go back to Costco, the store I really love, and demand compensation? Prolly not.

Here's what came up with, and mind you, I have had like 4 Beam and cokes this evening. BUY AMERICAN and expect the worst when you pay for cheap crap.

I don't know how well this will go over with the rest of you Jeeple, but after thinking about this for a couple of days, I am not sure I can really fault the Tire Guys at Costco. Hmmm, maybe I should go back and apologize for buying cheap chinese crap in the first place.

What do you guys think?

Go America. Buy American. Go America.

Last edited:
jneary said:
the trick is to torque all the lugs tight and hand tighten the wheel locks so they are eay to remove with or without an impact

X2 I never put a gun on a wheel lock. Its brain dead stuff. Look at the huge difference in contact area of the regular nut and a wheel lock. No matter who made them. This should not even be talked about its so stupid. Its like using an impct on a chrome nut. DUUHHHH. The chrome will be hammered off! Hand tighten chrome nuts and wheel locks. How about the morons that zip the plastic center cap nuts on with an impact. No wonder they fall off. Not to mention the impact should only be used to zip the nut on, not to tighten it at all. Final tightening should be with a torque wrench with a criss cross pattern.

Last edited:
Back