• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Brake system?

blackhawk411

NAXJA Forum User
I just had an almost-accident today and was wondering about XJ's brake system. Mind you, I am used to my Honda's all 4 disc brake system with ABS. So I was following my friend's 69 Mustang, he was going to run the yellow but decided to stop. So I slammed on my brake and it just immediately locked up, (going 30mph) I came so close to hitting his car. I would have if he hadn't peeled off when he heard me screeching.

Now my brakes are messed up. Warped front rotors and the rear drums need to be adjusted. I realize the car locked up because of these horrible brake condition. BUT how do XJs generally do with braking? I've never had a car with drums so I want to know how well XJs stop. I'm going to have to look into big rotor kits.

Thanks!

Depending on your year most of the earlier ones (like mine) have a single diaghram booster, that for lack of words suck for the size vehicle. If that is your case(ealier jeep) then do a search for brake booster/master upgrade. I will be doing this soon as my brakes (again lack of better word) suck. Hope that helps

Ive had good results with a well taken care of brake system. Just remember, this is a much heavier car than a Honda and so adjust following distance to match. I have "emergency" brake'd on the freeway from about 65mph and stopped quickly enough not to hit the lady in front. Too bad the guy behind me in a little Mazda couldn't!
I didn't skid at all and don't think Ive ever locked them up so try a brake job before buying larger parts.

Convert the booster to the newer style (if it doesn't already have it, depending on what year you have) and discs in the rear with a ZJ prop valve. I'm way happy with my brakes now. Stops better than my wife's WJ.

oops.....yes, its a 8.25.

if I up grade my booster when I put on the new master do they have to be from the same year/model for the upgrade to work?

xj is a 91 disc/drum set up.

Back