• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noob here, please hate me.

obsolete

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all. I just bought a Cherokee and a friend of mine on another car forum pointed me in this direction. I’m a noob here but not a noob to forums or spinning wrenches. With that said I am going to commit the worst noob crime known to man: ignore the search function. Now wait, please put the torches and pitch forks down for a moment and let me explain. I bought a black 99 Cherokee Sport on Monday. It’s a 4.0, 8.25 rear with 110K on the clock. I plan is to do a full tune up Saturday after work or Sunday morning. This is the first Jeep I’ve owned and have no clue on fluid types and quantity. Because of my retarded schedule I have no time to look all the information I need up. I work 50 hours a week and take 15 credit hours at school. So between work, school and homework I have to schedule when I take a shit and bang the ole’ lady. I would greatly appreciate any of the info I need so I can hit NAPA after I get out of work on Saturday and get cracking. Here’s what I need:

Oil weight and quantity. I use Synth in everything I own so any recommendations would be great. It’ll probably be Mobil 1.

Coolant type and quantity.

Spark plug gap. I usually don’t get expensive plugs; NGK’s is what I usually use. But has anyone had any luck with the 4.0 and other plugs.

Brake fluid type. Does it use 4 or 3 like everything else?

ATF quantity and recomendations.

Transfer case oil type, quantity and recomendations. If anyone has a write up on draining it that would be great. Never done one.

Front and rear end oil weight, quantity and recomendations.

Timing advance. Is it adjustable like a normal distributer or is it computer controlled.

TPS voltage for adjustment.

Any other hints tips or write ups would be great. Thanks in advance for the help and please keep the noob flaming to a minimum. I’m sensitive :laugh3:

Also, how much RPM drop do you guys get in gear, not moving, and hitting full lock on the steering. It seems like I get more then I should. But then again I don’t know what’s normal for it. It’s enough for me to notice the RPM stumble and see the lights dim a bit.

Thanks,:worship:
Alex

First off hit the FAQ section. A lot of what you ask is in there. As far as plugs, the regular 99cent Champion's work about as good as anything. Some use the Champion truck plug. The fancy high dollar plugs actually seem to hurt performance for most.

obsolete said:
I have to schedule when I take a shit and bang the ole’ lady.
That right there is a den quote. Alex-a lot of your questions could also be answered by visiting Go Jeeps website at www.go.jeep-xj.info , he's got a maintenance section that is right up your alley.

welcome. FAQ section is good but also your basic Haynes manual will cover Fluid specs, qty, types, spark gap, and basic maintenance information.

OK, I hate you!

JK of course, but I hope it made you feel better. ;-) I just got an '01 Cherokee Sport so I'm a noob to the Jeep world and NAXJA as well, although I've always owned some type of 4WD since I was 15. Good God, that's almost 28 years ago...

Anyway, the guys here are very helpful, just try to your part first.

I've been going through mine, changing all the fluids and what not. I'm really enjoying it.

I like syn fluids in the engine and diffs also. I used Mobil 10W-30 engine oil and Valvoline 75W-90 gear oil with 4oz of friction modifier since mine has a trac-lok. Make sure to put the right stuff in the transmission, Dexron / Mercon. The transfer case uses ATF also, just over 1 qt and probably the easiest thing to change.

As the others have said, all the info you need is out there. You might want to go by your Jeep dealer and see the parts guy for a build sheet, you'll need the last 9 digits of you VIN.

Dig in and have fun!

Doug

You'll also find fluid recommendations and capacities in the Tech Section of my website - link in sig. They're culled directly from the FSMs - which is why I don't have all years listed (however, I have found that they tend to be consistent from year-to-year, so find a year close to yours and use that. I'll add listings as I add FSMs to my collection.)

Haynes manuals should be used as shims for workbench legs or fire-lighters. Chilton's are rather better - but the ne plus ultra would the the FSM - or Factory Service Manual (not Flying Spaghetti Monster...:doh: )

Just don't trust any dealer or shop that tells you that the AW4 takes regular ol' ATF. It needs Dexron/Mercon fluid specifically.

Back