• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

roof rack?

Jimbo_1321

NAXJA Forum User
so my roof rack is coming off my 87 xj... the little nuts that sit inside the rubber grommits keep pulling out... I've tried gluing them in. nothing, they just pull right out. I'm almost to the point of welding them in! ha ha. but does anyone know where i could get some more of these little rubber grommit things? or maybe someone has a solution of their own?
thanks guys!
Jim

you can use brass rivnuts, they dont pull out, they'll deform the roof panel first-

I pulled my headliner out and used real bolts with washers and nylock nuts to hold it on. It cant rip off anymore and branches don't wedge under it anymore either.

bcmaxx said:
you can use brass rivnuts, they dont pull out, they'll deform the roof panel first-

Steel rivnuts work too, and probably won't leak if you get them tight enough. I'd put a little goop of some sort under the shoulder before tightening though, just to make sure. I used those on my 87 and if it did leak, I guess it didn't leak there any more than from the other leaks, so I never noticed.

Back