• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cam Chain

ahm

NAXJA Forum User
Timing chain jumped teeth on my 99' XJ w/4.0 at 193k miles. Purchased new timing set but cant get it runnung again. Followed the CLYMER book and seems to be out 180 degrees. :huh:
suggestions please
thanks

So now ignition timing is 180 degrees off from cam timing? If so, remove distributor, rotate engine one complete revolution, and put distributor back in.

Or (knucke-dragging shade tree swamp yankee method....) you can switch plug wires 180 degrees.

Thanks for the info.

I spoke w.tech. from jeep and he said to line up the marks on gears for cylinder 6, then rotate crank 1 time and set distributor to cylinder 1:wow:

thanks for the info it was very helpfull...
Now the engine barely startshasta But the timing sounds good, looking to change CPS.
Any other Ideas?
THANKS

I found this same problem on my just completed '88 4.0 rebuild. If we set the timing gear marks pointing towards each other, the valves were not relaxed for cylinder 1. Rotated the engine one revolution, and all was fine, with the cam sprocket mark now pointing away from the crank. So, I scribed a new mark on the cam sprocket tooth that was now pointing at the crank sprocket mark. We used this as our starting point, and during the install kept a track of the number of turns on the engine while bolting to the torque converter. When we were back around to my starting point, primed the pump, dropped in the dist, and she fired right up!

If I had set it all up according to the original mark on the cam sprocket, we would still be going through the same thing as the OP.

Why would someone design the cam timing marks to be 180 deg off of the cylinder one firing point? It would make one less thing to worry about when rebuilding one of these engines. I had the luxury of seeing all of this on a stand, no valve cover on. But for someone replacing just the timing set, in the vehicle, it can mess with your mind if you're short on patience...

By the way, one week, 60 mile, so far so good! It is nice to have power again, and no more embarrassing knocking and tapping echoing off the cars next to me....

ahm said:
thanks for the info it was very helpfull...
Now the engine barely startshasta But the timing sounds good, looking to change CPS.
Any other Ideas?
THANKS

Yes, def try a new CPS. But first, if you can get it running at all, put a timing light on each plug wire to see if you have any missing spark. We had two intermittant signals, plugs 3 and 4, while the other four flashed at a steady rate. Popped in a new CPS and all are firing steadily now.
My problem/theory; my buddy dropped my flexplate while removing it from the old engine, and I forgot to check out the timing ring to see if it was out of round. The theory part: cyls 3 & 4 share the same spot on the timing ring, and if it is in fact dinged there, combined with what was probably the original CPS, we were getting an intermittant signal for those two cyls to fire. As soon as I put in the new sensor, at all cleared up.
I know, I know, I should have done it while the engine was out. I was being cheap, I admit it ( Actually broke is more like it). But it wasn't that hard to do with the proper tools, and a little patience. And I rerouted the harness to come up closer to the firewall, more towards the driver's side, which really keeps it away from the exhaust manifold.

thanks for the help.
I finaly got it running by setting marks on gears together for cyl. 6, 1 rotation & set distributar to cyl 1. truck ran somewhat, replaced CPS and it ran great, till i took it for ride.
XJ will run for awhile then engine will die to 200rpm, shut off & restart no problem, blip throottle & it goes back to 200rpm:bawl: Wgat the hepp?
I also put new battery cables & cleaned connections. is CPS bad?
also got code P1391 loss of CMP or CKP?

noticed chain skipped do to the way it was running & when yhe engine wouldnt turn over well

Back