• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken screws in front header panel

oldjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Any good ways to remove rusted broken screw ends from the front header panel? I was trying to replace some broken headlight surrounds on my sons comanche and most of the screws were so rusted they just snapped off.

oldjeep said:
Any good ways to remove rusted broken screw ends from the front header panel? I was trying to replace some broken headlight surrounds on my sons comanche and most of the screws were so rusted they just snapped off.
Best way is to just drill out and go to the next bigger size screw. A #10 maybe?

Sometimes you can get a little vise grips on the stub, and if you wiggle back and forth rather than trying just to turn them out, you can get results. Otherwise, grind them flush, and then you have a chance the drill will go through the screw rather than next to it, but any way just drillum out.

WOund up trying to drill them out - which resulted in drilling beside them. Good enough for now, got some screws in there and they seemed tight.

oldjeep said:
WOund up trying to drill them out - which resulted in drilling beside them. Good enough for now, got some screws in there and they seemed tight.

thats what i did on my 89, just went next to the broken screw.

Back