• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rough idle after driving

kygpn

NAXJA Forum User
On my 89 4.0 i have been plagued with an rough idle after driving. however it is not consistant. I have tuned it up recently as well as replaced the throttle position sensor and checked for vacumn leaks. these have not seemed to effect this issue. I have hooked it up to a scanner but still have not located this problem. can anyone give me direction to solve this problem?

What did you put in it for spark plugs? Is the throttle body clean? Is your o2 sensor working properly? How are the rest of your tune parts?

I just recently replaced plugs, wires, cap+ rotor. then due to a worn ditributor, replaced it and module. the o2 sensor and knock sensor has been replaced ealier. It does start easier and idle better in the morning after these items, but the rough idle after driving problem has been unaffected.
another item to note, is that it has not had a catylitic converter for some time

4.0 doesn't need a cat they don't care about it..... What did you use for spark plugs Renix's don't like bosch platinums. good old champions work better in them....

they were champions(dont recall which #), not bosch. but the problem was there and after the change.
the engine runs very well at highway speeds and gets reasonable mileage, considering it has 33s and 4.10s. we drove it on a trip recently(250 miles ea. way)it averaged 17.5mpg. but pulling if for a rest stop it would spit and sputter and idle rough. after it cooled for a minute it was better. but still idles rough. back on the highway with cruise set @ 70mph it ran fine. the next stop no spit and sputter:confused:. this is anoying and frustrating. Someone help:dunno:

check the EGR system.
after you'r eon the highway it may not be closing properly, and that would lead to a serious hesitation/idle problem.

You might also seriously consider replacing all the grounds, after 20 years they're not in good shape. A lot of the roughness/random issues went away on my 87 after all of the battery cables were cleaned or replaced.

Back