• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Pinion Gear Smooth... No Teeth.

Twisted_Dakota

NAXJA Forum User
What would cause this to happen? I was getting rid of the vaccum disconnect and when re installing it noticed there was a problem in the Diff. My thinking was the spider gears were shot... wrong take the diff cover off and there are no teeth on the pinion gear. How?

So jeep is not going wheeling this weekend. The HP 44/ 9'' start to go in next week.

Evan.

5-90 said:
That's an easy one - material failure. The pinion may not have been hardened, which caused the teeth to eventually shear off. What shape were the teeth in when you dug them out of the bottom of the case?
Nice thin Slices. Let me also add that the gear oil looked original. Jeep has 250,000 miles on it.

Twisted_Dakota said:
Nice thin Slices. Let me also add that the gear oil looked original. Jeep has 250,000 miles on it.

Sounds like fatigue. Probably didn't quite caseharden the gear all the way down (As I recall, rings & pinions are casehardened) and the abrasion from the failed lubricant would have done the rest of the job. Once the case gets below a minimum thickness for the stress it's under, it may as well not be there - and you start getting teeth sheared off.

5-90 said:
Sounds like fatigue. Probably didn't quite caseharden the gear all the way down (As I recall, rings & pinions are casehardened) and the abrasion from the failed lubricant would have done the rest of the job. Once the case gets below a minimum thickness for the stress it's under, it may as well not be there - and you start getting teeth sheared off.

Ok. Well this is the first time the jeep has driven under its own power since I bought it. I got it back from the shop this moring and towed it to my buddies shop since it isnt registared or insured.

I am half tempted to throw the other set of D30 and D35 under it tomorrow after class. But I dont think i am going to do that. I just want to get started on the HP D44/ 9'' swap.

Twisted_Dakota said:
Ok. Well this is the first time the jeep has driven under its own power since I bought it. I got it back from the shop this moring and towed it to my buddies shop since it isnt registared or insured.

I am half tempted to throw the other set of D30 and D35 under it tomorrow after class. But I dont think i am going to do that. I just want to get started on the HP D44/ 9'' swap.

Now you've got a good excuse!:woohoo:

5-90 said:
Now you've got a good excuse!:woohoo:

No Kidding. I picked up the axles and gears from a guy on here. I axles are complete and the gears are NIB. Gears are 5.13 motive for the 9inch and Yukon for the D44. as well as a mini spool for rear. Gonna 3-link it in the front and 4-link it in the rear. And thinking about running 37's. Not sure yet on the tire size.

Back