• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hmmmmmm....Oil in coolant.

XbajajeepX

NAXJA Forum User
Well, last week I had drained all my coolant out and replaced it with a flush product and water. When I drained it I had noticed oil in the coolant. I figured I wouldn't worry too much until I drained the flush out to refill with coolant. So I did that today and noticed there was still oil in the water....

The jeep is an 01 sport with 106K on it. It doesnt overheat and runs perfect. Could it still be a cracked block? If not, what could it be?? Thanks,

Mike

yes, it still could be a cracked head eventhough it doesnt overheat.

unless the block is cracked, where else could the coolant come from?

Oh, I will be changing my oil today, also....Should I look for coolant in the oil?

Cracked head. The '01 has the 0331 head casting whick has the occasional habit of cracking. You can get a casting number 0630 from an earlier model XJ. There is also another casting number that will work but I don't remember it.

Just search on 0331 head, and you'll find a number of posts on the issue.

Yeah I know it has been covered many times but I am in kind of a time crunch right now...AHHHHHH this sucks...I am in the middle of a move right now...

check trany fluid. I just had the problem of my oil cooler inside the radiator got a leak. tranny fluid and radiator fluid traded places!!!!! big mess. pul dipstick on trans and see if there is water on the top will look like milk shake.

The 0630 head has bigger exhaust ports though, I think you'd have to swap the manifold as well.

If you buy a new head for the 01 it will be the revised form which doesn't crack like the origional. They've since fixed the problem, shame they didn't issue a recall. But it won't kill or harm you, or start a fire, so, that's why they don't have to issue a recall.

i think all jeeps get that goopy stuff in the overflow... I do, I take the container off every so often and spray it out with hose. I know I don't have coolant in my oil for a fact(UOA)

mine never overheated and just found i had a bad gasket and cylinder 5 and 6 were barley firing and i had a slight oil in my coolant. visa versa, might want to check that out.

Yep, the coolant in the overflow gets dirty, while the coolant in the rad stays bright green.

Dunno. Same thing happens on our 1980 oldsmobile with 53,000 on its clock. And that thing has a threaded cap on the overflow (still an open cooling system). Oh well, it works lol.

Back