• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Disk brake swap on a D44

dano.75

NAXJA Forum User
I was told you could take the rear disk set up off a Ford Crown Vic. and it would basically be a direct fit, but I dont know what years will work. Any ideas?:dunno:

This thread should be moved to Tech. But yes it will work. I believe anything in the 90's will work

what you need to look for is a solid axle crown vix. Take everything that is bolted to the backing plate. Take the backing plate and open up the inner opening so that the bearing can pass through it easily. Order 2 rubicon rear axle retainer plates and open them up to a U so that you can slide them over the axle shaft. Cut off the old retainer plates. Redrill 2 holes on the rubi retainer plates (use old ones as a guide)

That's it. All work should take under half a day.

new discs also need to be machined, around the axle hub
not a big deal, but it needs to be done...

i keep hearing about people opening up the bearing retainers... does this make it difficult to keep a good seal?

xcm said:
i keep hearing about people opening up the bearing retainers... does this make it difficult to keep a good seal?
Nope, I got no problems with preload on the bearings nor with seals staying sealed. It'll be nearly 2 years since I put mine in.

Did you notice a great improvement in braking? How about proportioning valve, did you change it? And las but not least did you have a machine shop machine the disc's or did you use a dremel or similar?

sjd78 said:
Did you notice a great improvement in braking? How about proportioning valve, did you change it? And las but not least did you have a machine shop machine the disc's or did you use a dremel or similar?
I did not change the proportionng valve. Braking same as the big drums on the 44 but with increased usage (heat?) they don't degrade in performance like the drums did. Disk? Dremels rock :D

i cant imagine dremels really quote... ¨rocking¨
i used a drill press, and rotary burrs i bought from mcmaster carr
it adds up, you might want to consider buying a couple... home depot doesnt sell anything thatll work worth a crap

Back