• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 Laredo Ignition Switch gone bad?

slabelle67

NAXJA Forum User
A while back, my radio and wipers would occasionally quit working on me. Then, today my brake pump and electric windows stopped. I think it may be the ignition switch, because when the key is in the on position but not running...I can use my windows and hear the brake pump start (if I jiggle it just right). But as soon as I turn it over, I lose power to them again. The radio and wipers actually never quit today. Any ideas?

slabelle67 said:
A while back, my radio and wipers would occasionally quit working on me. Then, today my brake pump and electric windows stopped. I think it may be the ignition switch, because when the key is in the on position but not running...I can use my windows and hear the brake pump start (if I jiggle it just right). But as soon as I turn it over, I lose power to them again. The radio and wipers actually never quit today. Any ideas?

The ignition switch (electrical part) is where I'd start looking, from what you're saying. It's on top of the steering column, down by the firewall. Takes about a half-hour to an hour to replace (depending on how big you are - if you're a big guy, you may find it easier if you remove the driver's seat first. That takes about five minutes...)

N.B. - the headlamp dimmer switch is retained with the same screws, and I don't recall how they're stacked. Pay attention - you don't want to reverse the two, or the operating rods for them won't quite work properly...

Back