• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will ABS Axle work with Non ABS Housing?

drunksuperman

NAXJA Forum User
The other weekend I went to change my u-joints in my 1998 D30 and the darn things were so rusted in place I bent the ears on the shafts trying to get the u-joints out. And like a condom I knew to get new ones and not try to bend the old ones back. So, I ordered new shafts from Rusty's and they came with the ABS tone ring. Well, I don't have ABS and I told them that, regardless they set shafts with the ring. OK, my question is if I press off the ring will the shafts work in my non ABS D30 axle? I asked Rusty's this and they said yes, but I got the feeling they didn't want to send out a different shaft, and told me this to shut me up. Comparing my old outer shaft with the new, the old has an extra flange around it that rides next to the unit bearing. If I press off the ABS ring it doesn't have this flange. I know that the unit bearing needs the outer shaft in place for it to work properly. Do I need this extra flange or will my new shaft with the pressed off tone ring work? OK I'll stop rambling and see what you people have to say.
P.S. I'm a newbie at posting so sorry in advance for anything.

why don't you just leave the tone ring on? my GUESS is that it will fit, but if you already have the axles out, just drop the U-joints in, and throw it in your front end

Tell Rusty's to send the right part - there's no reason a GOOD customer-oriented company would send you the wrong part and expect you to have to modify it.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

YES
It will work with the ring, if you remove the ring it will still work but you will not get a good seal at the back of the unit bearing.
That’s the only difference I have all three types of shafts.
This is also true with a cv shaft like out of a grand. You have to remove the ring on them to fit but you do loose the sealing feature designed into the rear of the hub.
So run it tone ring installed.

Back