• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Foaming Coolant in Radiator

kdailey4315

NAXJA Forum User
Whats up everyone,
I've had my Jeep for about 3 weeks now and today I noticed coolant leaking from the front of the Jeep. I popped th hood and saw it dripping from the inside of the hood, but I couldn't pin point the leak anywhere. I opened the radiator and noticed that it was very low (couldn't see and coolant when I opened it) and about 1/2 in of bars leak caked up on neck of the rad. I drove the 2 miles to my house and open the rad again (now that it was at full operating temp) and saw that collant was foaming. WTF? I've never seen that before with any car. Any ideas? It has never overheated and the guage hasn't moved past 210 under any kind of driving.

99 Limited Auto

Thanks

find and fix the leak...it is high pressure to be on the hood---so start it and watch it and you will see the leak. Flush the system and either get the rad rotted out or get a new one.

I already ordered a new one. I was just wondering about the foaming coolant. I've never seen that before. Is that a symptom of a more serious problem?

I bet the previous owner noticed a leak and dumped that Bars Leak crap in there and sold it real quick. The foaming is probably the Bars Leak or some other odd fix-a-leak.

I bought a ZJ that the PO had done this. It leaked within a month and I had to replace the radiator, which was also quite plugged up with the crap. A month after that the water pump blew up and spit bearing pieces everywhere. The whole system was full of hard chunks of bars leak and was probably what chewed up the water pump. I would find the leak and do a really goodflush of the whole system to get that crap out of there.

Back