• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blew up my motor today

LilRedRover

NAXJA Forum User
Well here it goes and I'm ready to take a lashing. This past winter I hydrolocked my engine. We pulled the plugs shot water out about 20 feet in the air turned it over pumping as much water as possible out and then put plugs back in, changed the oil, and off to finish the trail we went. Of course I had to change all the TB sensors and yada yada. All was fine. Went wheeling this morning and on the way home the engine was running like a dog. My buddy was behind me in his XJ and called me saying I was blowing a lot of smoke. I thought to myself, oh Sh*t gotta get home. Didn't quite make it and now my XJ is sitting on the side of the interstate with a puddle of oil under it waiting on my other buddy and his truck and trailer. Just trying to find out what some of you all would guess the preliminary diagnosis would be, fixable or not, what to look for, etc. Also take into account I can get a new/used motor from a cherokee wreck yard locally for about 600 with 40-60k miles. What would you do?

sounds like it shot a rod, check for a sizeable hole in the oilpan..... thats the extent of my knowledge, depending on the damage it probably fawked the cylinder wall too. a good junkyard engine is probably the easiest fix btw what year is the junkyard engine? if its older than a 99 you can avoid cylinder head problem (99 and up i think were the years?) of cracking. good luck with the swap............ you could build a stroker...........but i didn't give you the idea :D

So, what happened to the jeep. Did it sieze up? Did it die? Does it turn over? I get the impression there is a bunch of oil under it? What is a lot of smoke from the jeep behind? You mean it was leaking tuns of oil the entire way home, or the exhaust was putting out smoke.

There is the distinct possibility that these events have nothing to do with the other. In my experience a flooded engine usually last just fine as long as you recover from all of the electronics, and chainging fluids and such. It might have a detrimental effect (reduce the life a little), but not normally destroy the engine 8? months later.

Did you not look at the engine or the oil coming from it before you left it on the road?

Michael

I looked and it wasn't a HUGE puddle, but my wife had left her house keys in our house and had my daughter with her so I was in a hurry to get home to let her in the house. It didn't seize up and it didn't die, It started knocking REAL loud after my buddy called on the cell phone and told me smoke was rolling. He didn't know whether it was coming from the exhaust or burning on the block, but it was definately smoking. I crawled under quickly and it looked like it was running and dropping from right where the bellhousing attaches to the engine. For about a week or so it has been running sluggishly and I put fuel system cleaner in it thinking maybe it was bad gas, but I guess it wasn't that now. Hope this helps.

Ok, VERY different info that I was guessing!!!

Sounds like you obviously have a oil leak (possibly large enough that you were not getting enough oil to the top of the engine). But it is no where close to Blewn up :)

I would get it home and inspect the block and head. pull the valve cover and oil pan and see if there is anything blocking or untoward (if you are not familiar with what would be untoward, have someone else look for you). fill with oil, check all the other fluids, fill up if necessary.

Someone else will have to chime in if there are any details about priming the oil pump (do not believe there is) or anything else I might have forgot.

Then start it up and make sure oil pressure comes up and the ticking noise stops.

You might very well have stopped it before too much damage was done.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes once you get there.
Michael

lets hope, I am wondering if I threw a rod however since it hasn't leaked at all before today when I stopped. It is garaged and I just went out and looked and no oil where it was sitting last night... I'll keep an update once I get it back here.

Last edited:
It wasn't me, I was sitting in water just over my bumper and a dumb person went barreling in sending a wave over my hood AND I have a jetski thanks... ok it was my fault, but I still have a jetski

Last edited:
that sux, i cant believe that motor made it this long after seeing all the water that came out of it the last time u let it have a drink. good luck.
Drew

drew... you were in the boggered YJ that day weren't you?

How many miles since you hydroed it? How many miles total? You anal retentive re. maintenance? I agree with 2xtreme that the events may have nothing to do with each other.

Did mine a few weeks ago (no jet ski here) and everything seems OK.

Good luck, hope it's nothing major, but sounds like you have a pretty good option with the low milage replacement.

My guess is a rod as well. A friend of mine blew his up after hitting a big hole, and it shot a rod through the side of the block. The thing still ran... barely... with a HUGE knock and TONS of smoke!
The hole in the side of the block was almost big enough to fit a fist through!
My Jeep sure got a workout pulling him off the trail that day!
At least you were on the road.

yeah buddy and I took his dually and trailer and picked it up last night... sure got a lot of stares winching it up onto the trailer on the side of a major interstate HAHA... went out this morning and drained what was left of the oil and it's jet black and smells BAD... Oil Pan doesn't have any holes in it, but I haven't looked at the block itself yet. More to come on the saga I guess. The jeep is sitting for a while regardless. I guess now I have a winter project.

I don't know if it was a rod you would know it sounds like a frieght train. Plus you wouldn't have a small leak you would have a huge leak that oil would be spurting out everywhere. Also, a considerable size hole in the block since you were drving it after the knocking started.

don't know about the hole, but when draining the oil after all was said and done I had less than 1/2 quart left in the engine and the entire transmission bellhousing is covered in oil. I'd say some spurting was going on and I'll find the hole upon disassembly.

Back