• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tow Hooks

Don91

NAXJA Forum User
I need some front recovery points for my jeep and have decided to go with basic front hooks. Now I dont like spending money so i thinking if i can build them myself it would be cheaper plus i need a project to keep me busy. does anybody have drawings of the tow hook brackets with dimensions and hole locations and what thickness steel would you recommend. Im pretty good with CAD so redrawing is not a problem but mastercam files would be perferable.

what do you want the hooks to attach to and how? I've got several different designs drawn. Why mastercam? Do you have a plasma or laser table at your disposal?

go to a junkyard, and pull the towhook bracket setup off of a factory jeep.

there are 3 brackets per side, I got mine for $12 with hooks. you can't even buy the steel that cheap to build a set.

well i would like some that mount to the factory tow bracket location and i have a laser and a plasma CNC at my highschool thats why mastercam.

Don91 said:
well i would like some that mount to the factory tow bracket location and i have a laser and a plasma CNC at my highschool thats why mastercam.

why not measure and draw it yourself? not being a smartass, but why not figure it out yourself and post the drawings here to see what people think.

Search around and find a pic of the factory tow hook brackets if you can, they are the best design and in my view the minimum you should use. They use the 3 bumper mount bolts, then go back down the frame about 10" and pick up a large through frame bolt, then have an L shaped bracket that goes on the front crossmember, inside of the front tow bumper mounting bolts and bolts through the crossmember. This L bracket reinforces the flimsy metal that the two front mounting holes go through. The brackets have a 3 sided box below the 3 bumper mounting bolts and the tow hooks bolt to the bottom of the box. The brackets should be made out of 1/4" and the welds should be very good. A flying tow hook can be deadly, so this needs to be taken seriously.

89xj said:
why not measure and draw it yourself?
x2
I tried to download a plan, lasered a template at work, and still ended up making my own template by hand with a piece of drawing film and a Sharpie marker. I hope it all works out for you, especially since you have nice tools for the job.

Back