• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 question

Rattman

NAXJA Forum User
I have a wrecked 92 XJ, and just bought a 2001. I have read a lot of posts with guys swapping high pinions in for low pinions with lifts. I am going to do this. They are both non disco. Can I swap the shafts from the low pinion to the high pinion to take advantage of the stronger u-joints?

Yes.

I'd put new balljoints on the high pinion while your at it, and move the outer knuckles, brakes, and unit bearings from the low pinion over as well. They will be newer components and in better shape.

-C

Just make sure you move the rotors with the unitbearings, the 2000+ unit bearings will only work with the newer rotors. I've converted two 2000+ jeeps over to high pinion housings, re-using the newer brakes, bearings and shafts. Its pretty easy work, but i definatly suggest getting new balljoints, and finding someone with a balljoint tool you can borrow for the job. There are special adapters for the dana 30, you really do need them.. you -can- do the job without them .. but you don't want to. :)

You're going to just want to move the entire knuckle as stated. if you want to use the newer brakes on your old knuckle you'll have to move the unit bearing also.
My front d30 has 97+ bearings and rotors and 87 calipers and pads. it gets confusing for the parts guy :)

I have a 89 disco axle in my 2000 running a Tera knuckle on the pass side (which is the newer style) and a 96 XJ knuckle on the drivers. It has 96 XJ hubs and brakes on both sides with TJ shafts.... I think the changeover for the knuckles/brakes was in 92 when they went to the non disco housing. The newer knuckles seem to be a bit bigger and stronger than the older ones as well. Also sometime in 2000 they changed the hubs and rotors so their are 2 different style. My axle is a big mix of parts.

cal said:
Just make sure you move the rotors with the unitbearings, the 2000+ unit bearings will only work with the newer rotors. I've converted two 2000+ jeeps over to high pinion housings, re-using the newer brakes, bearings and shafts. Its pretty easy work, but i definatly suggest getting new balljoints, and finding someone with a balljoint tool you can borrow for the job. There are special adapters for the dana 30, you really do need them.. you -can- do the job without them .. but you don't want to. :)

Is there a writeup for all this anywhere? I am in the process of shopping for a HP D30 to make my driving in 4WD (FT) on snowy roads a little smoother and gain some clearance...

I dont think that a writeup is really necessary? Once you start to do the work its crystal clear. Just make sure your rotors and unit bearings come off of the same year (or series of years, but same if your not sure) vehicle and your going to be fine. the outer knuckle is compatible between any year. While it may seem scary if you have never assembled an entire front axle, after finishing it you will find it was one of those jobs thats stupidly easy - like the first time you changed sparkplugs or plugged a tire.

Back