• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ball joint ??

Angus

NAXJA Forum User
OK got an odd ball joint question. When I did my WJ conversion two years and 25K ago I changed all replacable parts. I have not done much wheeling since, but do love the steering and brakes. Anyway, I noticed an odd noise from the front end. Upon inspection the knuckles are minutely loose. Not sure why 32's on 15x10's would put stress on TRW joints that soon but oh well.

Is the D30 upper ball joint a true ball joint or just a stud and sleeve joint? Other upper joints on newer axles I have removed allow up/down and swivel movement. This loose tolerance adjusts for minor differences in the inner C dimensions. Older axles used a scew sleeve around the stud to make up for the tolerance differences. The lower joint does the actual knuckle locating from moving up/down.

Just checking to see if I only need new lower joints. The uppers may allow the small up/down movement by design and not be bad.

Thanks, Angus

Anyone???

I was just wondering if anyone else could confirm this info. I had hoped somebody might have an upper joint or axle appart that could check.

Thanks, Angus

Mine have no movement at all.

TRW used to make good parts. Now its cheap mexico made junk.

Buy some Moog or Spicer joints.

I believe it's essentially a stud in a sleeve, as you questioned. When I changed my ball joints recently, the "stud" just fell out of one of the uppers. I personally would replace both uppers and lowers, but I tend to be a worry wart.

Back