• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering wheel play

mjack

NAXJA Forum User
Seems that when I turn my steering wheel, there is a delay in the response from the wheels. There is a bit of 'play' in the steering. I can turn the steering wheel from 12 to 2 and back to 11 with minimal change in tire direction.

I have gotten it looked at, but nothing has come up.

I have 33s and stock steering stabilizer/steering components on a 5.5 RELA kit.

could be a combination of worn TRE's on all the steering linkages. especially with 33's.

i replace my tierod with the zj(i think) swap with all new TRE's.

i also adjusted my gearbox. there is a nut and adjustment shaft on the top of the box that can be adjusted.

WARNING, only make small adjustments and take for test drive after each adjustment. some people say not to do it, but it worked on my tired 89 gearbox.

the only way to truely find out where the play exists is to have someone wiggle the steering wheel back n forth while you inspect the intermediate shaft, sector shaft, draglink ends, tierod ends, and trackbar bushings in that order.

My steering was horrible with the worn draglink and TREs. after getting new linkage, the box also had play and finally upgraded that to a Durango box. Now I have no play.

Back