• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

not the "usual" durango steering questions

scorpio_vette

NAXJA Forum User
1) not that napa is always right, but they list the 99 V8 durango box with a different line thread size as the XJ box. just wondering if anybody has encountered that, or if it's a typo on their website. also the lock-to-lock is a bit less than the XJ Box. which brings me to question #2 below.

XJ steering box specs.

Attributes:
Line Thread Size:M18x1.5; M16x1.5
# of Mounting Holes:4
Input Shaft Diameter:3/4"
Output Shaft Diameter:1.25"
# of Turns Lock to Lock:3 3/8 - 3 1/2
Type of Hose Ports:Tube O-Ring

99 V8 Durango
napa part #NSP277588

Attributes:
Line Thread Size:M18x1.6 # of Mounting Holes:3
Input Shaft Diameter:3/4"
Output Shaft Diameter:1.25"
# of Turns Lock to Lock:2 15/16
Type of Hose Ports:O Ring

2) i searched the forum and have read all the durango box mods for a long time already, but i never did see if anybody ever figured out if there was a definite way of telling why some people had to remove spacers from their boxes, and some people didn't. anybody ever get an answer on that??? alot of the old durango threads died off without any recent updates.

i'm trying to look into this a bit because my wifes steering box went out on her TJ (same as XJ).

i'm still considering the options from a post i made a while ago too.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=920055&highlight=steering+box*

I think its a hit n miss. My first durango box had major issues and my turn to turn lock was horrible. Exchanged it for another using the same part number and the turn to turn was exactly the same as my XJ box.

my brother did the durango box, pretty sure the lines just hooked up, he didn't say anything about having lines made.

Back