• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4:1 and 2low questions

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK, so I finally got my stuff bolted up :) Now I have couple questions:
1. Does the 4x4 light stop working reliably? It looks like the shift points changed a bit with the 2L so it'd make sense that the light would not necessarily work right.

2. Does the 4:1 with 2L and wide chain chatter a bit more then a standard tcase? The noise is a bit amplified for me cause of the Novak shifter, but I think this is a bit more noisier. It's not a grind, it's not a howl, it's nothing bad sounding, just light chatter.

IXNAYXJ said:
I don't have the 4:1. but I do have the 2Low. My 4x4 light goes out every time without fail, and has for more than a year.

Also with the Novak shifter, be careful about touching it after you've been running for a while. They can get HOT!

-----Matt-----
LOL yeah, I've had that shifter already for a while and it's nice on.... a cold day :D I've used it to warm my hands before :)

Yes,the planetaries can be quite noisy!I had to send my first unit back because it was so bad,been fine ever since!

My light works reliably. The noise scared me at first, it sounds like worn bearings, but it is just normal. It will get quieter as time goes by. The 2Low is the best IMHO.

And yeah the Novak shifter does get quite hot, especially after a long road trip. I used some aluminum insulation from the homo depot to damper the heat.

Yep the Tera 4.1 is noisy! I run synthetic ATF in it now and it helps a lot. My light only comes on in 4 Low but I rarley use 4 Hi so its no big deal. I love the 2 Low, with an Aussie locker up front it really helps out, not to mention its amazing how much you can do in 2 Low.

If you didn't change the cam inside the transfer case that actuates the light it should work. When I installed my SYE the 4X light would not work for a couple of days, then it just started working. No explanation, so maybe after a few miles it will start working again. It may help to ensure a good ground from the x-fer case to the body.

Mosephus said:
In what types of situations have you guys used 2low the most?
tight turns on a good traction surface, tight turn on something really slippery, busted front drive components (ujoint going out maybe?). Also sometimes you don't really need 4 wheel drive for obstacles, you just need a better gear ratio :D

Back