• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stuttering 4.0

yossarian19

NAXJA Forum User
Greetings.
Problem is my 98 cherokee 4.0 has an intermittent gremlin with it...
The gremlin causes the idle to (randomly, as far as I can tell) drop and almost stall. Once or twice it has even done so. Engine temp seems to make no difference.
It also staggers while driving. RPM range makes no sure difference BUT I've never had it happen cruising at 3k in third. That is no proof though, as I've been sure I fixed it several times only to see this gremlin pop up again. Not sure about RPM but it has happened at 2600 and below for sure.
I've tried using better gas. I've checked all the ignition connections. I cleaned up the cap & rotor. Plug wires all seem to be in good condition - checked connectors and they are clean. Ignition timing is not adjustable, fuel filter shouldn't be bad on a post-97 with 80K, right? Engine is plenty powerfull - just stutters at times...
What else should I check or do? Anyone had similar problems?
Help!

Have you checked your computer for codes that it may be throwing? I am also big on grounds being correctly cleaned. Grounds cause funny/mysterious things to happen, especially if its a floating ground.

I have an '89 that was doing the same thing and i couldn't figure it out so i took it into the dealership to pull some codes. They called me 1/2 day later and told me I was done. Without asking they cleaned my TB and installed a new throddle cable. I thought I'd been had but no problems since. Weird huh?

Weird...
I can't really afford the dealership right now but I suppose Autozone reads codes for free, I'll have them pull and see what happens.
Plug wires / plugs could be replaced.
Anyone have similar / same experience they wanna share?

diz rocks said:
I have an '89 that was doing the same thing and i couldn't figure it out so i took it into the dealership to pull some codes. They called me 1/2 day later and told me I was done. Without asking they cleaned my TB and installed a new throddle cable. I thought I'd been had but no problems since. Weird huh?

glad it was fixed, most likely the throttle body needed cleaning.

BTW, there are no codes to be read on an 89.

Back