• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Alternator, Opinions?

DanMan2k06

NAXJA Forum User
After realizeing how much aftermarket electrical equipment I have, I've decided to invest in a new aftermarket alternator soon. I've got 2 large audio amps, 4 pairs of foglights (only 2 wired now), headlights re-wired to the battery, and soon to be an onboard air compressor. I was looking at the mean green ones, but they seem pretty pricey, anyone have any other suggestions?

DanMan2k06 said:
After realizeing how much aftermarket electrical equipment I have, I've decided to invest in a new aftermarket alternator soon. I've got 2 large audio amps, 4 pairs of foglights (only 2 wired now), headlights re-wired to the battery, and soon to be an onboard air compressor. I was looking at the mean green ones, but they seem pretty pricey, anyone have any other suggestions?

http://www.geocities.com/JeepI6Power/sjg.html

Add a second bat in your storage area in back and buy a lifetime warranty Alt from Discount auto. Thats what I did LOL

the mean green ones put out 200a, at like 1500 rpm i imagine. but thats the one im looking at and i have RF equipment, so maybie ill need two.

I run a Mean Green and its sweet, but 5-90 is right on the money with upgrading. He has built what he sells by what works best. Larger wires equal less resistance(resistance creates heat, which creates more resistance in a loop until wires go bad). Batteries do help, so do capacitors for amps but the rest of the system needs to be upgraded as well when you draw more from the weak stock setup.

1998 Dodge Durango with a 5.2 alt works and puts out 136 AMP.... I am too cheap to spend the money for a Mean Green... I did put in a second battery though. Original alt went out on me 4-5 hours from home and I drove it all the way. Dual yellow tops are awsome. FYI a XJ will run on less then 6 volts, but nothing but the engine will work... :rof:

Caged94XJ said:
1998 Dodge Durango with a 5.2 alt works and puts out 136 AMP.... I am too cheap to spend the money for a Mean Green... I did put in a second battery though. Original alt went out on me 4-5 hours from home and I drove it all the way. Dual yellow tops are awsome. FYI a XJ will run on less then 6 volts, but nothing but the engine will work... :rof:
I had a cracked yellow top that would start the jeep with only 7 or so volts. it started it slowly, but it started :thumbup:

Gascan340 said:
Will that 1998 Dodge Durango with a 5.2 alt work with 88XJ. I would love to do the swap.

Thanks

No. The XJ used a Delco CS-130 alternator with the 4.0L from 1987 to 1990, and the ND will not fit (also, the Delco is internally regulated, while the ND is external.)

Uprated Delcos are easy enough to find, though. And, IMO, the Delco is a hardier unit anyhow.

Gascan340 said:
Does anyone know of some info for us 1987-1990 guys for a high amp alt sawp thanks
find a rebuilder, have yours rebuilt with windings that will make the power you want.

It's the easiest way.

87manche said:
find a rebuilder, have yours rebuilt with windings that will make the power you want.

It's the easiest way.

Ayuh - and getting a rewound Delco is easy. If you can't find anyone locally, go to my site and check out San Jose Generator - it's the shop I use, and I talked him into doing mail-order a couple years ago.

Yea I'm actually in the process of upgrading my wiring now. I'm a welder, so naturally I have unlimited access to welding wire. I just brought home about 20ft of 2/0 awg :) Now where can I get some terminals for the ends lol.

I'll look into a local electric guy, theres a lot of small shops near my work that do all kinds of crazy stuff. If not, 5-90 I might be interested in your guy.

20 feet is probably too much wire. 00AWG is definitely overkill!

You should have no trouble finding lugs - but you could try Welding Depot (online) to get them if you can't find 3/8" and 1/4" rings locally - I think they've got them up to 00AWG. www.weldingdepot.com, as I recall.

DanMan2k06 said:
Yea I'm actually in the process of upgrading my wiring now. I'm a welder, so naturally I have unlimited access to welding wire. I just brought home about 20ft of 2/0 awg :) Now where can I get some terminals for the ends lol.

I'll look into a local electric guy, theres a lot of small shops near my work that do all kinds of crazy stuff. If not, 5-90 I might be interested in your guy.

Hehe I know it's overkill... but I like opening my hood and having people go dude wtf is that a garden hose?

I'm just trying to slowly prevent problems one at a time. By overkilling, I know that in the future there is absolutely no way that the problem is the wiring.

As for the crimps, I found some at Roberts Oxygen that are meant to bolt up to the welding machines, but will also work perfect as a gound/power ring.

Back