• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

water pump/ belt rotation

99XJLove

NAXJA Forum User
Okay I called Napa today to price a new Water pump, hoses, and serp belt. When it came time for the hoses they wanted to know if it was right hand drive or left hand drive. I asked if he was talking about the position of the steering wheel like with the postal jeeps and stuff. He said that he was talking about the way the water pump spins and that the most common is left hand drive. How do I tell, if I look at the pump from the front it spins counter clockwise so that would be clockwise if I was the pump in which case that should be to the left. Is that right? I did try searching also.

Right hand/left hand drive have to do with where the steering wheel and controls are, not the engine accessories. (OK, the power steering pump may go onto the other side...)

"Standard rotation" is driven on the inside of the belt (grooved pully,) while "reverse rotation" is driven on the outside of the belt (smooth pully.) Nearly all serpentine-drive water pumps are reverse rotation, using smooth pullys. You've got a reverse rotation water pump.

As Blaine said - check the new water pump for an "R" stamped into the impeller. That stands for reverse rotation. If it's there, you'll be just ducky.

Right, reverse, not right hand drive.

Believe it or not the power steering pump is on the driver's side for right hand drive XJ's, but the power steering lines are run to the gearbox on the other side.

Blaine B. said:
Right, reverse, not right hand drive.

Believe it or not the power steering pump is on the driver's side for right hand drive XJ's, but the power steering lines are run to the gearbox on the other side.

I don't know why, but that makes perfect sense...

Bah, I screwed that up.

The power steering pump is on the passenger side for right hand drive xj's.

Which would be our Driver's side.

So the pump doesn't swap sides for right hand drive.....it sits where it is regardless :)

I wonder if the extra length in the lines for European rhd XJ's kinda acts like a power steering cooler in a way? Plus with the extra fluid necessary....

Bah, back on topic.

Blaine B. said:
Bah, I screwed that up.

The power steering pump is on the passenger side for right hand drive xj's.

Which would be our Driver's side.

So the pump doesn't swap sides for right hand drive.....it sits where it is regardless :)

I wonder if the extra length in the lines for European rhd XJ's kinda acts like a power steering cooler in a way? Plus with the extra fluid necessary....

Bah, back on topic.

Yeah - that was how I understood it. Good from an accounting point of view, bad from engineering...

Accounting, because it's cheaper to make hoses than brackets, and you can use the same brackets both ways.

Engineering, because using excessive flexible hose in a hydraulic system can cause pressure variations and "sags." Rubber hoses should only be used when there is relative motion, or as "vibration joints."

Rubber hose doesn't work too well as a cooler, either...

From GoJeep's website-

TaurusFan44.jpg

They appear to be metal most of the way.

God I feel like such an idiot right now.....I guess you learn as you do these type things.

I replaced just about everything cooling related this weekend and got my water pump from Napa. I trusted the guy to get the correct one, and even have my receipt with it saying my specific vehicle. But, I just looked up on their website and it appears I got the wrong one because it says standard. I looked for the R on the back, but reasoned that since it wasn't a Mopar part that it wouldn't have it.

Should I be experiencing overheating, because it sure does cool a whole lot better than before.

BTW I got part# 42004 http://www.napaonline.com/masterpages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=TFW&PartNumber=42004&Description=Water+Pump+-+New

JoshRountree said:
God I feel like such an idiot right now.....I guess you learn as you do these type things.

I replaced just about everything cooling related this weekend and got my water pump from Napa. I trusted the guy to get the correct one, and even have my receipt with it saying my specific vehicle. But, I just looked up on their website and it appears I got the wrong one because it says standard. I looked for the R on the back, but reasoned that since it wasn't a Mopar part that it wouldn't have it.

Should I be experiencing overheating, because it sure does cool a whole lot better than before.

BTW I got part# 42004 http://www.napaonline.com/masterpages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=TFW&PartNumber=42004&Description=Water+Pump+-+New

Did you happen to look at the pumps side-by-side before you installed the new one? The "R" doesn't always make it onto the impeller (rare, but happens) and that could be what happened to you.

If the impeller is backwards from what it should be, you'll be flowing water backwards, and I'd think you'll overheat (but I've not tried it...)

x2 as long as the impellers are exactly the same with the blades in the same direction and such.......it is the same pump.

BTW 5-90 my a/c compressor was to blame for the whine/howl from my old thread, replaced it with one from a 96 at the boneyard. $50.00 beats $300 for a reman!

5-90 said:
Did you happen to look at the pumps side-by-side before you installed the new one? The "R" doesn't always make it onto the impeller (rare, but happens) and that could be what happened to you.

If the impeller is backwards from what it should be, you'll be flowing water backwards, and I'd think you'll overheat (but I've not tried it...)

I've got 108,000 miles on it and the coolant had never been changed, very bad color. It cools very very nicely now. Very noticable change. I'm going to go by Napa tomorrow and ask to look at another one and see. Maybe I got lucky...

Hey thanks for all of the info guys. Like I said it wasn't the water pump that they said the whole right drive or left drive on. They quoted me on this pump from this link http://www.napaautoparts.com/masterpages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=TFW&PartNumber=42004&Description=Water+Pump+-+New

It was the radiator hoses and the serp belt that they asked the right and left question. If you look at this link it shows the radiator hoses, and for the lower they want right hand or left hand drive. For this I'm guessing left hand drive like the US because on right drive the cooling system would be backwards, because of the heater core and all right? Anyways here is the link. http://www.napaautoparts.com/masterpages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=430&Keyword=radiator%20hose&KeywordCat=Radiator+Hose+-+Automotive&VehCode=Y

And the one for the belts. It would only make sense to get the left hand drive with the A/C option right?http://www.napaautoparts.com/masterpages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=430&CatId=2&SubCatId=1

Heater core is in the same place regardless, too. I dunno what the difference would be in the hoses. Take a look at that pic I posted of the Australian XJ, the upper hose is the same anyway.

Blaine B. said:
Heater core is in the same place regardless, too. I dunno what the difference would be in the hoses. Take a look at that pic I posted of the Australian XJ, the upper hose is the same anyway.

Just another note about heater hoses, the stock ones are 5/8" and 11/16" but I couldnt find anyone that carried 11/16" so I used 3/4". The tolerances on them are pretty tight, and I had a leak on the 3/4" hose so if anyone replaces it, you'll need to tighten down that one pretty good.

Blaine B. said:
Does your heat seem any warmer using the larger hose?

Or cooler?

Just wondering if there's increased or decreased flow due to the larger hose size.

I honestly don't know, it hasn't been cold enough to running it much lately, and I don't use the HVAC that much. You wouldn't think a 1/16" would make much difference, but the hose doesn't fit into the holder that well (kind of pinched) and it sure was the first one to leak.

Since the heater core size hasn't changed, I would suspect it wouldn't be any warmer.

Back