• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cruise Control Hmmm.....

CrawlingCritter

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry I'm new at this and posted in the wrong forum. Take Two:
I have a 90 XJ with a dead cruise control. I just bought the Cherokee this July and have been slowly going through it getting the ride ready for hunting season. The cruise was DOA when I bought the Jeep. At first I found corroded connections at the servo on the fire wall and thought AHA! an easy fix. Still Dead. So I checked vacuum lines and I seam to have plenty of vacumm. I checked both vacuum and electric switches under the steering wheel and everything seemed okay. I think the vacuum line to the release under the steering wheel (actuated when you hit the brakes) goes to the servo on the firewall. I disconnected this line and plugged the servo and test drove the jeep. Cruise Still Dead. The smaller line on the servo has vacuum. I don't know how to test or check the yellow box under the dash. Any body had similar experience with a dead cruise control?

my old 91 had intermittant cruise until one day it died. just before I was done driving it, i noticed that there were 3 broken wires on the cruise stalk. it seems as though the wires leave the rotating art of the stalk and then jump back in. should be red, blue, and yellow wires on the backside. HTH

Mine was the break light switch on the pedal. Mine's a '92 but if the set-up is the same then that switch failing should also prevent your torque converter from coming in (which you can easily check). If TC works it's probably not the switch.

Good luck.

Back