• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone run fiber-glass fenders, hood, etc?

DirtyMJ

NAXJA Forum User
Did you by any chance do a comparison on the weight vs the stockers?

Apparently the glass hoods are a couple pounds heavier than a stocker.

I'm not sure about the fenders? I'm talking the ones that look like the stock ones, not with extra cut-out and flare...

Not gonna wheel it, so don't tell me how glass breaks.

Why are you wanting to run fiberglass fenders? I don't see any benefits from it other than the looks if you run the ones with the big bulges. The last set of new steel ones I bought were less than $30 each and fit without any modifications. Fiberglass fenders usually need to be fitted to the vehicle, and sometimes mount differently than the stock sheet metal. The fiberglass fenders will be heavier too, as it takes thicker fiberglass to match the strength of the thinner steel.

I was asking about weight. So, they're thicker. That's what I needed to know.

Street-truck project... Trying to get a MJ down to about 3000lbs.

Many aftermarket glass parts for cars are built with the intention of saving weight, not being overly tough. So they're only marginally thicker than their steel counterparts. It'd be a nice way to shave some weight off the front - where it needs to go.

The steel fenders don't weigh very much at all, I don't think there is much weight to be shed there. I've had the front end off mine several times, and there isn't anything that weighs enough to consider replacing.

There is not much weight that can be shaved off of the body of an MJ without making it weaker. Gut the doors, replace the glass with speedglass, strip the interior, get rid of all unnecessary components (A/C, heater core, blower motor, wiper motor, washer fluid resevoir, etc...), relocate the battery to the bed.

I read on a jeepspeed site that you will lose 50 lbs from fenders and hood. I've seen fenders but not the hoods. I've seen hoods for other race trucks that weigh 6 to 8 lbs.

I've used fiberglass a lot. If its well made it will be much lighter. A fiberglass hood doesn't need to be reinforced if made with good materials. It will be lighter by how much i don't know... most of the weight will be saved in the hood.

O and fiberglass is flexable when the right resin is used.... i used to bounce through trees in my yota

Back