• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

yj d35

cgmrdc

NAXJA Forum User
89 limited(ABS) with RE 3.5" superflex.
im getting ready to put on 32s and know of an 89 yj d35 with 410s. i was wondering if the gears would be interchangable? or even axel parts for spares? i searched but couldnt find a definate answer and yes i really want to keep my d35 for now so i dont want to hear "just get a d44". links would be very helpful.

i dont have a ton of posts but prolly spend 3 hrs a day here so plz none of the typical noob bs that people w/o 1500 posts get from time to time

sorry if i sound testy but its kinda time sentitive
thanks

Yes, you can install them. I doubtyou can install them and keep them quiet however, since they've been broken in with respect to the housing they are currently in.

What are you going to do about the front? Got to have matching front-rear to use 4wd.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

a d35 with 4.10 gears out of a 4cyl cherokee would probably be pretty easy to find, and a lot easier to swap in than messing around with the YJ axle. You could probably get the whole xj d35 for less than you would spend on bearings to swap the YJ gears into your housing, which like Yucca-Man said isn't a good idea. You might as well grab the front axle from the same cherokee.

Check out car-part.com for junkyard parts. You may be able to find a set on the classifieds here on Naxja as well.

if it was gonna be a good deal i was gonna grab it. i wasnt gonna do the install till i had the front as well. ive been told 32 are right on the edge of having to regear so im not in a huge hurry.but waht you said about wearing to the housing makes sence. did cherokees come with a 4 cylinder and 4wd? what years? i might look into that. thanks for the info.

4-cyl 4wd XJs were made 1984-2000, the only model year that didn't have them was the final, 2001 year. Of course by that point the front axle was a low-pinion D30, so you wouldn't want it anyway.

Jim

im on a college budget so it will prolly be a while before i can really afford to go bigger... but thats what everyone says. what about vacuum disconects vs non im pretty sure mine is non... currently i have abs but am hoping to get rid of it eventualy. does that make a difference?

Back