• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

6.5" lift, steering question

JB Flex

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, 6.5" RC lift, adjustable upper and lower control arms, 33" tires. The steering wheel was turned about 90 degrees, so i adjusted the drag link to make it longer and put the steering wheel straight. Before I did this I could turn very sharply right, and pretty sharp left but not as far. this has not changed since I adjusted the drag link and centered the wheel. I am not bottoming out on the stop bolts on the knuckle, however i am assuming there is only one stop bolt per side. Any ideas? thanks

With a lift of 6 or more I highly suggest a OTK (over the knuckle) or crossover steering set up. Rusty, JKS and a few others make them. Stock steering is very limited when it comes to this much lift.

After lifting a Cherokee that has an inverted Y style of steering you need to adjust both the tie rod and drag link. Set your toe by adjusting the tie rod first, you can use a tape measure to measure the difference between the front and rear of the front tires to get it set pretty close, you will want the distances to be the same. Then adjust the drag link so that the steering wheel is straight. That should get you going until you can replace it.

The same thing happened to me on an inverted T style, I had adjusted the drag link the wrong way and it was hitting the stops in the steering box. You may have just adjusted your drag link the wrong direction.

Back