• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad caster from longer lower arms?

MoonScryer

NAXJA Forum User
Got a 96 Sport, 4" lift, probably settling below this, w/ RE lower fixed arms, but stock upper. Would this arm combo cause significant enough caster issues to cause negative camber? Should I put the stock lowers back in?

I can't afford to buy the uppers at present, hence why I was thinking of putting the stock lowers back in. Would this make the problem, as far as driving, worse though?

mines all jacked up..im running lowers for 6 inches of lift, and stock uppers. the alignment shop said they had a hard time even getting it close, and i can tell....and my pinion angle in front is horrible..when i finish my 44 front, rock-krawler long arms are going on so im not too worried about it. i wouldn't go too long like that though. i ate a front DS. the u-joints stayed fine somehow but the slip yoke in the DS now has play and it ate the centering assembly in about 5 months. so i got another front DS, and only use it when im going 4-wheeling

I would say with 4 inchs of lift and stock CAs you've got a really good chance of acquiring DW. I'd say park it till you can afford Adjustable uppers. and you would LOVE a set of RE Drop Brackets with all four factory control arms...

if the re lowers are longer than stock(16") you should be alright or within specs.

why would you put the stock one back on?? how would this help?

lowrange2 said:
I would say with 4 inchs of lift and stock CAs you've got a really good chance of acquiring DW. I'd say park it till you can afford Adjustable uppers. and you would LOVE a set of RE Drop Brackets with all four factory control arms...

This is what I was thinking. With the toe alignment I did the other day - not very hard at all with a tape measure - I am able to drive just fine down the highway - no drifting, no wobble, no vibrations, wheel returns to center fine.

89xj said:
if the re lowers are longer than stock(16") you should be alright or within specs.

why would you put the stock one back on?? how would this help?

As far as I know they are longer than stock - if not, what good are they? I didn't measure eye to eye when I put them on though. Part RE3700.

I'm going to leave them on and get an alignment. The uppers will have to wait a couple of weeks, but i can get them then. All part of the neverending parts pile.

Thanks. Guess I was just being paranoid. :D

Last edited:
According to Yuccamans site I fall in this:

stock is 15.75" upper, 15" lower.
3" lift 16" lower arms, 15" upper.
4" lift 16.33" lower arms, 15" upper.

NOTE: That 4" was when I first put the lift on - so I'm thinking it'll settle about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch.

I got off the phone with RE - love their customer support - and they said the RE3700's are 16" long, so I'm about 1/3" short at the optimal, but I think once the front coils settle, it'll get a little better. They said it shouldn't matter that much in the short run, but they also recommended upper adjustables like lowrange2.

Again, thanks for the replies.

Last edited:
So drop brackets, or uppers? The RE arms are on there; even if the jeep settles to 3.5" I should still get drop brackets for the RE arms?

eh... RE lowers your control arms 4 inchs.... so technically the factory control arms are the right length but as long as you caster is set properly all it's gunna do is move you axle forward...

The drop brackets would not be good with the control arms like you have them now. i would say get adj. uppers AND the drop brakets

It may move your axle forward an inch but mine does fine...

Like RE said, you should be fine. I once had a 3.5" lift on mine with new lowers and stock uppers, drove it for 50,000 miles plus with no problems. What don't you like about the way it is driving now?

The only thing I can point to is the odd camber I have. I know I still have some slight more toe than I want, so I'm still dialing that out.

I agree with RE that as long as she drives well and your steering isn't too light or too hard then roll it like it is. If you wanna get that better ride then drop the cash on some drop brackets... Dan Turner at Loose Nuts Enterprises can fix ya up nice.

i'm sitting on the better half of 5 inches with lower arms from a 4" kit and stock uppers. it's not ideal but it tracks well and is certainly driveable...

MoonScryer said:
The only thing I can point to is the odd camber I have. I know I still have some slight more toe than I want, so I'm still dialing that out.

camber has nothing to do with control arms. camber is upper or lower ball joints, or bent knuckle, or bend tubes, or...

Back