• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'96 XJ gauge cluster upgrade.

BigG

NAXJA Forum User
I know ther a re other threads out there on this, but I haven't found one that discusses the problem I ran into doing this.

Using http://www.opiebennett.com/Gauge.htm as a reference, I went about upgrading from dummy lights to gauges. I got the gauge panel form here(thanks 8 UP), and ordered the senders for gauges from Parts America's website picking them up at my local Advanced Auto Parts.

The Oil Pressure sender was no problem except for the 1 1/16th wrench I had to buy. The temperature sender that is listed in the site above came up as being for a light, which shouldn't be any different than the one I already have installed. I ordered the one that says it's for a gauge. The problem I ran into is that the sender I currently have has a single wire. The new sender requires two wires. Anyone have some advise on this?

I don't have a 96 FSM but the 93 I have shows 2 wires in the schematic. A Tan-Blk which is the primary sensor wire going to pin 2 of the PCM and a Black -Lt Blue which is a sensor ground. The ground also runs back the the PCM. All of your other sensors have one so you could just splice it in. The MAP sensor is right above and would be a suitable choice. Before you cut anything, I'd use a jumber wire first backed into the MAP connector to verify it works.

The one in the picture appears to be a 2 wire. Note the large connector.

The difference you experince may be the fact that you have both a temp SENSOR and a temp SENDER on a 96.
The sensor is located in the thermostat housing and does have two wires into it ,it feeds info to the ECU.The temp sender is located on the back of the head and has one wire,the sender part # change depending on the year and guage or light cluster,also the connector was changed from a spade to a round connector during those years.
Wayne

if anyone has a mopar part number for the temp sender id appreciate it, ive tried to get this 3 times now and no one can get it right

OK, belay my last post. It seems I was looking at the one mounted on the thermostat cover which signals the PCM. The one connected to the gauge (at the rear of the cyl head), according to the FSM has a single Violet-Yellow wire. It's listed as a "sensor" (for gauge) or as a "switch" for the light.

I know my '88 has a single wire.

For some reason, when I did my swap the part for a gauge style sending unit was not listed for the 1996 year. I bought it at my work (NAPA). I don't know why. The 1995 was listed, it worked and connected perfectly. The part you need is also going to have a single wire and will be located in the back of the cylinder head, it will not look very different from your original one. The temp sensor for the computer (at thermostat) should not need changed. I can give you a part number (not OEM)if you want, in a previous post.

bajacalal said:
For some reason, when I did my swap the part for a gauge style sending unit was not listed for the 1996 year. I bought it at my work (NAPA). I don't know why. The 1995 was listed, it worked and connected perfectly. The part you need is also going to have a single wire and will be located in the back of the cylinder head, it will not look very different from your original one. The temp sensor for the computer (at thermostat) should not need changed. I can give you a part number (not OEM)if you want, in a previous post.

bajacalal said:
Ok, the oil pres. is OP6695 for this year. The export models apparently use OP6694 and we had 2 of these (WTF?) in stock today. OP6693 is the one for I-lights so don't get it. The temp sender is TS6685 there was no listing for the 96 year for some reason but this is the part I used when I did the swap and I (kinda) have the same year. It worked fine and I used the 95 year to look it up. Those are ECHLIN parts numbers btw.

Also, the gauge panels you need to look for are the 91 or 92 (don't remember) up to 96. Either way, the older ones have a cable not electric speedo and blue not white plastic so the difference is very obvious.

i tried looking up the TS6685 online, but can't find it.

Anyone know where I can find the TS6685 sender?

Forgot about Napa. I wonder why the others didn't have it listed.

Back