• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

More Starting problems

crusader76

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,

I have a 1990 jeep cherokee 4.0 auto. It will turn over but won't fire. It was slugish turning over but the battery was low so I am now charging it. I has replaced the CPS and it has a new distributor with cap, rotor, wires, and plugs. It's getting fuel to the fuel rail. What else could it be?

thanks

has fuel, check for spark.

plugs could be soaked with fuel. may need to take the plugs out and dry them off.

I will dry the plugs and see if that helps. Also I found out that the O2 sensor recall from 93 was never performed. I emailed jeep and they said take it to the dealership, the sensor was still covered.

Ok here's an update. Plugs were fouled so I cleaned them. Tested all distributor wires. Its firing now after it turns over a few times. still won't start. Could this be a sign of the distributor being off 180 degrees. All vacum lines check out and the dealer tech told me that the O2 sensor would affect idle but that the Renix igonres it on a cold start. Also chiltons has a poor wiring diagram the number one plug terminal is at what position in relation to the engine when looking at it from over the passenger fender.

Back