• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OBA air tank questions.....

scorpio_vette

NAXJA Forum User
i've been searching and reading for the last 20 minutes. i have found lots of topics about OBA, but not alot about tank location. the only pics i found were of the one that was located under the XJ slightly above the pinion.

so here are my questions. what is the biggest tank anybody here is running (i'm looking to use 2X3gallon or 1X5-10gallon tank)???

where did you mount the tank(s)??? got pics???

any suggestions on mounting it inside the jeep but somehow shielding it incase it explodes???

i have the entire interior and the backseat out of my Cherokee, so i'm relatively flexible on where i can put it. i would prefer having it outside, but can't seem to find a decent spot.

When I built my front bumper I used box tubing and made it an air tank; it's about 5 gallons. I haven't done the rear but I think it could hold at least 2-3 gallons.

Edit: Here's a picture before it was finished, you can see the bung where the air line threads in.
Img_2745.jpg

Last edited:
that is a great looking bumper and super practical. its things like this that makes guys want to build more and buy new tools. thanks for the inspiration.

scorpio_vette said:
i've been searching and reading for the last 20 minutes. i have found lots of topics about OBA, but not alot about tank location. the only pics i found were of the one that was located under the XJ slightly above the pinion.

so here are my questions. what is the biggest tank anybody here is running (i'm looking to use 2X3gallon or 1X5-10gallon tank)???

where did you mount the tank(s)??? got pics???

any suggestions on mounting it inside the jeep but somehow shielding it incase it explodes???

i have the entire interior and the backseat out of my Cherokee, so i'm relatively flexible on where i can put it. i would prefer having it outside, but can't seem to find a decent spot.

This is what I did with mine. Although it's a small tank, I only have 1 ARB and when fillling tires the tank doesn't help as much

main.php

main.php

main.php

Last edited:
scorpio_vette said:
that's a cool idea. unfortunately i can't weld, and don't have money for a nice bumper like that. so i have to stick with air tanks. i can get those fairly cheap to free.
i know what you mean. i can weld but its a disaster. i used a 5 gallon portable airtank and a harbor freight 12 v compressor and it does the job for onboard air. sure would be nice to have better quality compressor though.

if you have a/c but its broken you can plumb it to act as your compressor and locate the air tank in the back of your xj. sure would be handy if you are not using your a/c compressor already for climate.

POSXJGuy said:
i know what you mean. i can weld but its a disaster. i used a 5 gallon portable airtank and a harbor freight 12 v compressor and it does the job for onboard air. sure would be nice to have better quality compressor though.

if you have a/c but its broken you can plumb it to act as your compressor and locate the air tank in the back of your xj. sure would be handy if you are not using your a/c compressor already for climate.

my A/C has been gone for a while. it actually worked really great, but i never use it. i just ride with the windows open. i've taken the A/C out of every car i've ever owned.

i just couldn't figure out/decide where to put the air tank and was hopeing somebody would post something that would work really great. i like clints idea, but would like some more ideas.

zthang43 said:
When I built my front bumper I used box tubing and made it an air tank; it's about 5 gallons. I haven't done the rear but I think it could hold at least 2-3 gallons.

my rear bumper is 3x4x3/16 across the back with 4x4x3/16 box turning 90* towards the tires under the rear 1/4 and is 5.36 gallons

POSXJGuy said:
that is a great looking bumper and super practical. its things like this that makes guys want to build more and buy new tools. thanks for the inspiration.

paid 60$ for all that steel, 30 for it to be professionally welded, did all the cutting myself. I dont weld but from what ive heard is quite hard to get a good airtight seal. But anyway, 90$ isnt too bad for a custom bumper and 5 gallon air tank

XJ_Vikings said:
paid 60$ for all that steel, 30 for it to be professionally welded, did all the cutting myself. I dont weld but from what ive heard is quite hard to get a good airtight seal. But anyway, 90$ isnt too bad for a custom bumper and 5 gallon air tank

mmmmhhhhhhh..............................

scorpio_vette said:

It won't explode. You will have 150 psi max in there. If you punctured it somehow you would hear a loud hiss for a brief time but no explosion. I would not be concerned with shielding it.

I'm currently installing a similar setup to Clint's in the same location. I'm putting the pump in a cabinet (well ventilated with a 106 cfm fan that I'll hook to the on/off switch for the pump). I'm going to mount the tank to the top of the cabinet, but does anybody think I'll get moisture flowing back down into the pump if it's mounted below the tank? There's a check valve at the end of the stainless hose that will run up to the tank. Should I install a water trap?
Clint,
What's the noise level like when the pump turns on?

I also use my front and rear bumpers as air tanks. both are 3x6 rectangular section material. The front holds almost 5 gal, the rear holds almost 7 gal (goes across the back and under the quarter panels to the rear wheels).

If I had to mount a tank I would put it inside the back similar to the one posted above, however, I would probably mount it partially under one of the side interior moldings to keep it as far out of way as possible.

a 5 gal tank makes a huge difference to how much work a small compressor has to do to refill larger tires.

Michael

GreenGhost said:
Clint,
What's the noise level like when the pump turns on?

I was absolutely surprised. The Viair 400c is very quiet. If I had known up front this is where I wanted to mount the compressor I would have went with something bigger like a extreme air or something. I originally wanted to mount it like EricsXJ but found this way to be better.
In cab noise is not a bother for me anyways because I turn my compressor on when I get to the trail, fill the tank while airing down. I'm able to run my ARB ALL day without it coming on. When it is on for tires and such, I'm outside anyways. :) I run my pressure switch so it turns on at 110 PSI and off at 135 psi.

Back