• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3 inch lift, How much trimming to put 33/10.50

Tweeternpi

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 3 inch lift on my XJ now. I am looking at getting 33 10.50 BFG MT's How much Trimming would I have to do. I do not do any rock climbing or anything like that. I do some trail rides and things like that. The jeep spends most of it time on the Street.

Thanks for the info.

[sarcasm] six inches. [/sarcasm]

what do you want as an answer?

trim till it fits and bumpstop accordingly.

Tweeternpi said:
I have a 3 inch lift on my XJ now. I am looking at getting 33 10.50 BFG MT's How much Trimming would I have to do. I do not do any rock climbing or anything like that. I do some trail rides and things like that. The jeep spends most of it time on the Street.

Thanks for the info.

A lot! I'm in the midst of doing this right now. Actually, the front isn't too bad--with the flares removed, it would probably be OK (and the front sheet metal on a pre-'97).

The rear, however, is an entirely different story. On mine, the tire is within an 1/8" of an inch of the sheet metal at the rear of the wheel well with the weight on the tires, and the front of the tire is about 1.5 to 1.75" away from the front of the fender. There is no way even 10.5s will stuff in the fender well (I have brand new BFG MT 33x10.5s). I am going to do the max trim and fold up to the welds, plus bend up and weld the rear quarters. You *might* get away w/o bending up the quarter panel for street use.

You'll also have to bumpstop the bejabbers out of it--I got the DPG Offroad adjustable BS plates and a set of Daystar poly extended BPs.

All "3 inch" lifts are different, so you might have more or less space. I'm actually a bit less than 3" in the back, so I'm adding another leaf to my OME pack that should help give me back some travel the BSs will remove.

Keep it in the mall parkinglot and trim very little!!. I have a 3" lift on mine with 31's. (actually netted about 3.25" in front and 4.75" in rear). Your wheels will make a bit of difference too. I use stock wheels. Up front, on the street, I barley rub the lca at full lock. Off road the front rubs everywhere, (non bump stopped, as of now). It rubs above the upper coil mount in the inner fender a lot. so, w/33's I would think you are going to have to trim a lot. or as they in nascar, "let it clearence itself"

thanks for the all the info. Mine is a 92 I forgot to put the year. an for Wheels I have Canyons. I wa hoping with the 10.50s I would not have to trim as much. I have 30's on it now and it looks like I have a ton of room. Maybe I will just go with something smaller.

for 3", go with 31s or 32s. If you do go offroad, you may need to bumpstop and trim for those a little bit. 33s are best for 4.5-6" lift

djblade311 said:
for 3", go with 31s or 32s. If you do go offroad, you may need to bumpstop and trim for those a little bit. 33s are best for 4.5-6" lift

I somewhat disagree... IMO up-travel is overrated... set it up for the proper amount of uptravel (before bottoming out your shocks or contacting fenders) with bumpstops and you should easily be able to trim to fit 33's.

I mean Im running 36" Iroks (could run 38's) on 6" of lift... whats the difference w/ 33's on 3"? I say LCG should be your goal if you really wheel your rig...

But, YOU WILL need to bumpstop it... or plan to cut up some tires and fenders...

Just my worthless $0.02
Chris

i have a dpg hybrid 5 inch with a set of acos up front. i've cut out alot of sheetmetal and i barely rub at full stuff in the front. i also have 180 extra pounds up front with winch/bumper. 3 inches will be tough in my opinion. even when i had a 3 inch skyjacket lift 31's would rub.

Brian Strickland said:
i have a dpg hybrid 5 inch with a set of acos up front. i've cut out alot of sheetmetal and i barely rub at full stuff in the front. i also have 180 extra pounds up front with winch/bumper. 3 inches will be tough in my opinion. even when i had a 3 inch skyjacket lift 31's would rub.

Just curious but do you have bumpstops?

Seems like a lot of lift and still rubbing 33's with it cut...

If I'm not mistaken.. CKale1 on here is running something like a RE 3.5 cut w/ 33x10.50 BFG ATs... ask him how it does..

Here's his post w/ some pictures.. I think the last ones are 33x10.5s http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=929449

You can probably cut enough w/ a BB to run 33's if its bumpstopped... so I dont see any reason why 3" wouldnt work. It'll probably rub the control arms but who cares..

yeah i've got dpg plates in the rear and RE extended bumpstops up front. i have the LP d-30 . my alignment guy shimmed my lca's ( drop brackets) to improve castor. he pulled the axle forward. it barely rubs with swaybars disconnected. i could always put pucks up front, but it doesn't bother me that much. my jeep is also very heavy. about 4700 pounds.

uncc civilengineer said:
Just curious but do you have bumpstops?

Seems like a lot of lift and still rubbing 33's with it cut...

If I'm not mistaken.. CKale1 on here is running something like a RE 3.5 cut w/ 33x10.50 BFG ATs... ask him how it does..

Here's his post w/ some pictures.. I think the last ones are 33x10.5s http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=929449

You can probably cut enough w/ a BB to run 33's if its bumpstopped... so I dont see any reason why 3" wouldnt work. It'll probably rub the control arms but who cares..

Just looked at the link you put. That would be the wheel and tire setup I would have. I pmed him to see what he had done.

I ran 33x10.50-15 for a year at 3.5", then went to 5" of lift when I upgraded to 12" travel shocks.

If you run stock shocks with raised mounts, 2" of bumpstop extension will work for the front and rear with properly cut fenders.

My fender cutting write-up on MadXJ

Here are some pictures
flexedat_sm.jpg
othersideat_sm.jpg
FrontFlareRight_sm.jpg

rearflex_sm.jpg
lfflex_sm.jpg
filledgap_sm.jpg

Picture20008.jpg

I could make 35" tires fit with 3.5" of lift with more cutting.

36" tires will clear in the rear with reworked fenders like this

rearfender003.jpg

I had 33x12.5R15 TSL Swampers on my 2.5" lift. I got TJ flares & trimmed to fit them placed up as high as possible, I did cut-n-fold & didn't cut any pinch welds. I had to chop the rear 1/4s & only had one lower front fender bolt left after trimming that fender. The Jeep did great.
There are a lot of pics here in my photobucket, but sadly the Jeep isds no longer with us.
http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c72/jfiscus/89 Jeep Cherokee/
CRWrearbmprclrnce.jpg

doorlesspngr.jpg

STUCK.jpg

bah, trimming is over rated, I have self clearancing fenders, they work well.
I suggest you try it.

33's can be easily fit with 3" of lift.

you will need to trim and bumpstop as much as a rig with 6" and the same tires.

the only thing that stops uptravel is bumpstops or ungodly stiff springs.

ktm racer 419 said:
33's can be easily fit with 3" of lift.

you will need to trim and bumpstop as much as a rig with 6" and the same tires.

the only thing that stops uptravel is bumpstops or ungodly stiff springs.

The amount of bumpstop needed also changes with shock travel. A longer travel shock will droop more and the added axle angle causes the other side to stuff further.

It's not as simple as you think it is.

no shit huh?

sorry i didn't cover every aspect. forgive me?

ktm racer 419 said:
no shit huh?

sorry i didn't cover every aspect. forgive me?

I figured this out the hard way. I'm just trying to help others out. I wasn't trying to rip on you.:cheers:

I built mounts for my longer shocks and then I had to cut them of, add more bumpstop and redo them after stuffing a tire into the fender quite hard. The second try was right. I hate doing shit twice....

Thanks for all the info. I am thinking I might have to get the 33/10.50s now. After seening TNT's Right with 33's on it does not look like I will have to trim as much as I was thinking. Like I said it is mostly a DD rig. But I do take it on Trails on weekends And I like the look of a 33 on them.

thanks for all the help.

DD with 33's and stock gearing is not the best setup. in 4l you will be ok, but on the street, i dont think you will like it.

i would go with 31's on 3" lift for a DD and stock gearing, just my opinion

Last edited:
Back