• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

d30 weight

xj-boonie

NAXJA Forum User
anyone know what a D30 with brakes weighs?

Thanks
Mike

a lot, i have one in the garage and it is considerebly heavier then my 8.8" with discs

it takes two of us to move it around...i can try to get a better guess when i get home in a little while, but my guess is over 100lbs

tgoff said:
1 134 kilograms = 2 500.04205 pounds

I know for a fact that the D30 does not weigh that much.

From my experience it definitely weighs less than 300 lb and more than 200 lb. Not a very heavy axle when compared to front D44 and D60.

that link could mean the weight sitting on top of the axle or something along those lines

i just googled "front axle weight Jeep Cherokee" and that what i found

I've picked up, and carried a D30 housing...but it didnt have brakes, axle shafts, or unit bearings. I dont think it would be that much heavier, but definately a 2 person job.

I'd give it a solid 180 lbs, also, it would depend on wheather it's a disco axle or not, as the disco axles have a gigantic casting on the passenger side that the non discos don't.
that bastard was heavier than my 8.8 though, I can't wrap my head around that.

subject to old fart memory limitations; several years ago I weighed a D30 disco at 225lbs and D35 at 175lbs with brakes and fluids. The disco shouldn't be more than 10 - 15 lbs over the non-disco

I have picked up a front 30 by myself once, lifted it onto a loading dock (4ft) and never did it again, hah. I tried moving my front HP 44 and it took all I got to get it goin

lowrange2 said:
lol I was gunna do the conversion but I was lazy... IDK I'd say Cal's weighs close to that!

I was able to load my rear dana 60, complete, into the back of my truck - alone. (lifting one end, and then the other).

When I built the 30, I bolted the housing to the jeep before I installed shafts, knuckles, etc. I had to have help to carry my housing to the jeep.

I had my 30 off to rebuild my control arms about a month ago. I knocked it off of the jack stands, and was unable to put it back on alone. I'd guess it comes in complete around 320 pounds? I've never been curious enough to weigh it. It's a at least a hundred pounds heavier than the 'stock' housing I removed.

psh heavy are you kidding me? i move 14b around and you guys are telling me a d30 is heavy? granted i train for strongman events but i think d30 are light.

Blue_Blooded said:
psh heavy are you kidding me? i move 14b around and you guys are telling me a d30 is heavy? granted i train for strongman events but i think d30 are light.

All d30's are not created equal.

Ok, what could be the weight difference between them? im talking fully dressed axle here....The ones i've picked up were light and my buddys and I own around 8

oh, well start by sleeving it in .250" DOM, and then truss it, and build all new bracketry from 3/16 or 1/4 plate, full WJ conversion with a warn 5x5.5 hub kit, 30 spline inners, ARB, etc etc. The little bits here and there start to add up.

Housing2.jpg

steering.jpg

Early build info here, never did a thread for the finishing. I'm not very good about documenting my work.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=97816

Blue_Blooded said:
Ok, what could be the weight difference between them? im talking fully dressed axle here....The ones i've picked up were light and my buddys and I own around 8

Good for you....... now go have another protein shake & do some 14B FF benchpresses!

:D

mattyj said:
Good for you....... now go have another protein shake & do some 14B FF benchpresses!

:D

just had a micellar casein shake.... sorry if I rubbed anyone the wrong way, i dont want any of you getting hernia now. just remember to wear a belt when you lift an axle or get a friend like me to do it with ya (I love lifting heavy objects) but like my friends always tell me 'Strong Like Bull Smart Like Tractor' :viking:

Back