• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WHere to get flexplate bolts

ROBZ95Xj

NAXJA Forum User
ill be replacin the broken flexplate in my jeep, anyone know anyplace online or besides the dealer that has the 6 crank to flexplate bolts and 4 flexplate to tourque converter bolts?
its a 95 4.0 AW4

ROBZ95Xj said:
ill be replacin the broken flexplate in my jeep, anyone know anyplace online or besides the dealer that has the 6 crank to flexplate bolts and 4 flexplate to tourque converter bolts?
its a 95 4.0 AW4

The flexplate screws can be replaced with ARP parts - I don't recall the number offhand, but it's the set for Pontiac that includes six screws, 1/2"-20 x .590"

The screws for the flexplate to the torque converter are, I believe, M10-1.5x15m/m (maybe 20m/m?) but they are also what are called "place screws" - which have a bit of a special head style, and shouldn't be replaced with standard hex heads. I've yet to sort out a part number for those - you may end up having to go to a Jeep or Toyota dealer for those (the AW4 is a Toyota box, and uses a similar torque converter.)

:p

I was being sarcastic...

BUT. they're bolts, not screws. no offense, but from a normal standpoint...they're two completely different things. kinda like bolts vs. nuts.

jeepcomj said:
:p

I was being sarcastic...

BUT. they're bolts, not screws. no offense, but from a normal standpoint...they're two completely different things. kinda like bolts vs. nuts.

Bolt - any externally-threaded fastener that mates with internal threads in a removable part - commonly known as a nut.

Screw - any externally-threaded fastener that mates with internal threads machined or formed directly into the part.

Stud - any headless externally-threaded fastener with threads on both ends (may or may not be continuous.)

Setscrew - any externally-threaded fastener that mates with internal threads in a part, usually used to hold and adjustment or to fasten a part to a shaft in a removable manner.

So you see, the same fastener can be either a "screw" or a "bolt" - depending on how it mates with the internal thread. A cylinder head 'screw' screws directly into the block - but it can also be used elsewhere with a nut, and become a 'bolt.' The difference is the context of use. Thus, you'll find that most threaded fasteners on a vehicle can be properly called "screws." And yes, a "nut" is any internally-threaded fastener that is separate from a part, whether it's loose, welded to a tab, or some variety of insert (Nutsert, well nut, Rivnut, or whatever.)

I know it's being pedantic, but it's how I think... Very technically, any externally-threaded fastener with a wrenching head is a "screw" - they're called "screw threads," not "bolt threads..."

Back