• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AArrrrggge!

bjoehandley

NAXJA Forum User
Normally my '98 Limited is well behaved, but I'm having a bunch of problems right now:( I've lost all power to the power window controls on the drivers side door, cruise control won't turn on but horn works, went to use hazards today (pulled over for emergency vehicle) and only the one of the arrows on the dash lit, then later I checked them out at home and the front hazards wouldn't flash until I cycled the turn signals, and finally I've been having problems with the solenoid not always engaging and had to hammer on it some tonight when I left my sister's apartment so it would engage the starter:smsoap: So here's the questions;

#1. Are the DS Door controls, Cruise Control, and Hazards problems all linked in some way?

#2. Anybody have experience with the Mean Green Starters?

I would start with the battery posts, clamps, and cables, check and clean them. Then check the battery voltage.

Next item is the ignition switch on the lower end of the steering column (not the key lock mechanism, but the electrical ignition switch), it may be time for a new one of any of these items, battery, battery cable/clamps, or ignition switch.

Then you can start looking for loose, corroded ground connections in other locations.

Good chance its a poor battery ground or bad ignition switch.

bjoehandley said:
Normally my '98 Limited is well behaved, but I'm having a bunch of problems right now:( I've lost all power to the power window controls on the drivers side door, cruise control won't turn on but horn works, went to use hazards today (pulled over for emergency vehicle) and only the one of the arrows on the dash lit, then later I checked them out at home and the front hazards wouldn't flash until I cycled the turn signals, and finally I've been having problems with the solenoid not always engaging and had to hammer on it some tonight when I left my sister's apartment so it would engage the starter:smsoap: So here's the questions;

#1. Are the DS Door controls, Cruise Control, and Hazards problems all linked in some way?

#2. Anybody have experience with the Mean Green Starters?

I know the starter problem isn't the the ignition switch, voltage drops, or even the NSS......Dad stuck a push button remote start on it and that still wouldn't turn the engine over (and yes, he put it on the right terminals.....the second time:banghead: ) until he took a ball peen hammer to it. I'm hoping for some decent weather tomorrow so I can get the door back apart and look closer at the door harness, anybody know if the door harness separates from the rest or the interior harness?

The truck has got a new starter, guess after hammering on the solenoid a few too many times that died (Dad swapped it out while I was working and found a couple healthy dents in the solenoid case, guess I got a little carried away a few times:eek: ) I got a new replacement from a local former Jeep dealer who still stocks tons of Jeep parts instead of a reman starter (had bad luck with reman electronics on my Turbo Dodges:soapbox: )

I'm still have problems with the windows, locks, and cruise control though. Wierd part is that when the temps are in the low 40's to mid 20's they work with the door open at different angles (never consistanly either:wierd: ), but not closed and it's now warm enough out that they've stopped working no matter where the door is at. I do still have power locks working with the keyless entry and passenger side door. Now I do have a new switch panel in the door and that worked for about a week, then I lost the cruise control when that was swapped in, is it possible to have screwed up the cruise while figuring out what was going on with the windows? I still have a working horn, had to test it today because some twit in a Toyota minivan who nearly ran a stop sign while in the act of DWY (Driving While Yapping):flamemad:

The factory one is the one that was replaced, at the time I originally posted this I was thinking about a Mean Green, but I didn't have the money for one by the time the OE died, plus I heard some not so great things about their products from a customer who worked in a truck modification shop.

The power windows and power mirrors are all one big electrical assembly under there that is prone to getting snow etc dumped on there when you open the window or door. Not uncommon for one to go bad, had to replace it on my 98.

Already replaced one of them too, don't want to replace another unless I absolutley have to. I do need to start taking things apart now that the weather is nice to see if it's a bad wire somewhere because of the way it's acting.

Ecomike said:
Next item is the ignition switch on the lower end of the steering column (not the key lock mechanism, but the electrical ignition switch), it may be time for a new one of any of these items, battery, battery cable/clamps, or ignition switch.

Good chance its a poor battery ground or bad ignition switch.

An the 98 model year XJ's the electrical portion of the switch is DIRECTLY attached to the key cylinder..... NOT lower on the column.....

BTW, all other advice regarding battery and ground connection is extremely sound....

I'll have to look some more, I did find some damaged wires but some don't appear to have a mate (BTW did heated mirrors come on these trucks?) and others that I can't seem to find any matching wires to. Almost makes me think some jackleg mechanic got under the dash before I bought the truck!

Back