• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 XJ only starts on 2nd try

jeepinwi

NAXJA Forum User
My fiance and I just bought a 2000 XJ sport 4.0L automatic tranny with 110k on the clock. The engine has never started for us on the first try. I always turn the key to on and wait for the fuel pump to prime. I can crank the engine forever on the first try, but it won't start. Normally I will crank for about 3 seconds, release key for about 2 seconds, then crank again. The engine has all but once started on that 2nd try. Battery is good. Engine always idles good and never sputters when driving. I'm going to clean the throttle body tomorrow to make sure that's not causing a problem with the TPS. What does this sound like?

some times it will not throw a code but will give you diagnostics information.

you could try leaving the battery disconnected for 30 min and hook it back up. it will go into a learning mode so driving will be rough for a wile. but just drive it calmly.

Is this always true or does it only do it on a cold start? Check pressure on fuel rail. Sounds like the fuel is not there.

It does it all the time, hot or cold. I'm looking through my FSM at the moment to find specs on what the fuel pressure should be. I'll probably buy a fuel pressure guage before I drop the gas tank to change the fuel pump.

Don't drop ypur tank just yet. I have a 98 doing the same thing. If I get in and let the fuelpump prime the first time, just "hit" the key to energize the starter and then crank it starts everytime. As soon as our scanner gets back I am going to talk to the computer and see whats up. Mine is supposed to have had a new pump put in and I really do not think it is pressure related. More like when I hit "crank" mode to just energize the starter it spikes a relay or something to work. If i find out I'll post here.
Try bumping your starter and then crank, works everytime for me.
CP

I had this exact same problem on out grand cherokee. The gasket on the top of the fuel tank was leaking. The first crank was building up fuel pressure, and it starts on the second crank. Once we replaced that gasket it starts first try.

When the 1997 to 2001 won't start on the first try day after day, the first thing to suspect is a failed check valve on the fuel pump. The check valve holds the pressure in the fuel line and fuel rail when the motor is off. If you have the Schrader valve in the middle of your fuel rail, check for fuel pressure after the Jeep has sat a few hours or overnight, you should get a strong spray of gasoline. There usually is no check engine light or codes stored.

One possible additional symptom of the failed check valve is a rough running motor for the first 1/4 block of your trip. The fuel rail is still full of air, it will idle fine but run poorly under load until it clears the air in the rail.

You can turn the key on and off a few times to build pressure or you can replace the fuel pump assembly. I have done the key on/off trick for about 2 years, still runs great otherwise.

Back