• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Loss of power?

filmsomething

NAXJA Forum User
I went wheeling today and after several tried at making it up a hill and spinning alot I tried another spot and when I gave it gas the rpms went up to around 3-4k but the jeep wasnt moving, no power or anything. ended up backing out of the area but it barly made it back to the trailer. Had zero torque. The only thing I can figure is I toasted the converter. A few times on the trail the engine was acting funny jumping around in rpms like it was missfireing but it has new plugs and wires as of about a month ago.

anyone have an issue like this?

yup... I've never heard of a Cherokee with transmission problems! Ya got me!

Sorry I've got no help... I know nothing about tranny's other than mine is junk and I got another ready to replace it!

could be a tps problem.

what have you done as far as diagnosing the problem? have you popped open the hood yet?

Sounds like low tranny fluid. Torque converters work with hydraulics. Not real easy to fry. Could have broken or stretched the tranny bands I guess. Sudden like that tells me it sounds like a broken something or other.

Sounds like low tranny fluid. Torque converters work with hydraulics. Not real easy to fry. Could have broken or stretched the tranny bands I guess. Sudden like that tells me it sounds like a broken something or other.

Oh, check to see that a tranny line wasn't pinched or punctured in the climb.

3 year old thread, chances are the problem has been resolved, or replaced.

Back