• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP

farmfreakjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, I changed engine's, used all my old stuff off my old engine. I put in a new distributor. The engine fires right up, then die's. Every thing look's like it's where it should be. Any idea's?

Mine did the same after a engine swap, I broke the tube from the map sensor on the firewall that leads to the throttle body

On my 91 XJ mine did the same thing. At the time it was my first XJ. So I did not know much about them. Long story short. My 91 came with a factory alarm system that I did not know about. Would start for a couple seconds then turn right off. Once I figured that it had a alarm system. I called the dealer on how to turn it off. Put the key in the pass side door lock and turn it back and forth two times. She fired right up LOL.

Depending on the year, you may have a ballast resistor in the line to the fuel pump. Look on the driver's side inner fender for the white ceramic thing. It's absent in an 87 and a 95, but appears in some years between. If that is disconnected or broken, the engine will start fine, and run until you release the starter, then it will die. You can simply bypass it to test.

Back