• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spark plugs are white

deskjockey

NAXJA Forum User
I posted a week or so ago about a problem with overheating and a rough running 4.0L in my 96xj. Yesterday I pulled three spark plugs to take a look. They all appeared to be very white in color. They are regular champions from Napa. I have since diagnosed my overheating problem (bad aux fan relay). Did I possibly "cook" my plugs??? My xj just doesn't idle quite right. I also noticed too that one of the plugs had a carbon spot on the cermanic electrode insulator (inside combustion chamber) it was in line with the end of where the threads on the spark plug end...hope that description makes sense.

An ultra white plug means the plug is too hot. Especially if it has shiny spots on it. Dunno about the carbon spot. Try running a cooler plug.

White tends to mean running hot combustion temps. Normally caused by running too lean. If all plugs are the same then

Possible causes:
Bad Map
Bad O2
Leaky Brake Booster
Leak under Throttle body

If one or only some, then possible intake gasket leak.

Back