• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sticky throttle?

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
hey everybody

got in my jeep and started it for the first time in 2 months yesterday..ran well. but the throttle was sticky. this has happened before after 4-wheeling, but went away pretty quick. i got out and used the throttle on the throttle body and noticed the butterfly wasn't closing very fast. what am i supposed to lube, and what should i use

thanks

Depending on the year it could be several things. Rinix (87-90) have a bell crank attached to the manifold below the throttle body, and the bushing in that can bind. Lube it, but even so, if it's worn you may have to add another spring to pull the throttle closed, because the crank intermittently cocks on its pivot and binds. Also check the pivot of the accelerator pedal itself. It can bind a little.

Next time it seems slow to close, pull up on the gas pedal and see if that helps. That will immediately tell you if it's a linkage problem, as opposed to an electronic one with the throttle position sensor.

Motor oil is fine for these linkages.

Back