• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

will trim help ?

Kad

NAXJA Forum User
hello guys, sorry to bother you guys witm minor issues but some of the terms of the 4x4 are very hard for me to understand and here in Portugal unfortunly Jeep's are not very popular so basicly i cant get any help here.

So, i'll explain my problem, i've recenty bought a 92 jeep and today i took it for a soft ride, and to be honest, i've come up with somo unexpected undesired results from it.

ok, one of those problems is that when going throw a bump like the one you see in the pic the wheel just completly "stays blocked inside", will some trimming help me with this ? even if it helps in "front and back" of the wheel , how about the "inside" ?

One other thing is that the jeep as a little or no "axle cross", could this be because the wheel on the other side is already "blocked inside" ?

At this moment the only thing not standard i have is the Rancho rs9000 bumpers and 32/12.5/15 tires.

will just a 2" lift with just a rear shackle and poly spacer help at all ?

Sorry for the bad english and terms... but portuguese guy here so give me a break ;)

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Kad said:
At this moment the only thing not standard i have is the Rancho rs9000 bumpers and 32/12.5/15 tires.

This is your problem right there - if your suspension is still completely stock, the 32" tyres won't have enough space inside the fenders to allow either axle to articulate well. Also, if the swaybars are still connected, this will limit the amount of articulation you can get by quite a bit.

will just a 2" lift with just a rear shackle and poly spacer help at all ?

It will help but if the springs are already tired it won't last very long, particularly at the rear. 32" tyres are also a little on the large side for a 2" lift. My recommendation would be to go with a 3" kit that also replaces the springs, since the stock springs are known to be somewhat weak.

Sorry for the bad english and terms... but portuguese guy here so give me a break ;)

You're doing fine - we have native English speakers here who can't communicate as well as you do ;)

hello, yes, the swaybars are still attached.

what i mean by axle cross is... 2 wheels on the ground instead of one in the air at the smallest bump.

Swaybars will limit your "flex" and keep wheels in the air. Removing your rear swaybar entirely and getting swaybar quick disconnects for the front would be best, although I've entirely removed mine front and rear until I find some disconnects for the front. Been fine without any swaybars since May, but everybody has their own opinion on that.

Kad said:

what i mean by axle cross is... 2 wheels on the ground instead of one in the air at the smallest bump.
ya, so flex basically. Trimming will help, but like said before, getting at least a 3" lift will dramatically improve "axle cross". Or you could just get smaller sized tires

Kad said:

OK. You can remove the rear swaybar without affecting handling, but for the front you'll want a quick disconnect of some sort.

You're referring to articulation. There are a number of factors at play here, but disconnecting the swaybars will help a *lot*. Please don't drive on the road with the front swaybar removed, however - it really affects handling and safety.

hello again, thanks for all your fast answers.

tell me one thing, if i remove the front swaybar, will it be impossible to drive in the road or, just need to be more carefull ?

Kad said:
tell me one thing, if i remove the front swaybar, will it be impossible to drive in the road or, just need to be more carefull ?

It won't be impossible to drive - but if you have to make a fast manouevre to avoid something, the body will roll a lot more, making the handling less safe. I've driven with no front swaybar on pavement a couple of times, and do not want to do it again - it's one thing to do it off-road where you're moving slowly and aren't in traffic, but anywhere that it could affect the safety of others (like in traffic) is not somewhere you want to be doing this.

Other people will tell you it's OK to drive with no front swaybar, but I personally would advise against it.

Kad said:
hello again, thanks for all your fast answers.

Remove the rear sway bar, and buy or make some swaybar disconnects for the front.

Not sure what the fender flare laws are in Portugal, but you might consider cutting and/or removing your fender flares. That will allow for more flex, and less lift.

Also look into bumpstops. They will keep your tires out of your fenders.

spcustoms said:
who makes that snorkel? looks neat

Good luck making it work on a 4.0 - notice that it's mounted to the right-hand side of the vehicle (as you sit in the driver's seat), which means he's probably driving a 2.5TD. The 2.5TD's intake is on the opposite side from the 4.0...

hello all...

Not sure what the fender flare laws are in Portugal, but you might consider cutting and/or removing your fender flares. That will allow for more flex, and less lift.

unfortunly the police here just simply doesnt seem to like nothing rather then OEM. :(

who makes that snorkel? looks neat
sorry i know little off topic

Home made ;) some PVC and patience will do the job:)

About the swaybar disconnects i'll have to look for some here in europe since that unfortunly if i order it from the states the costumes (is that the right word) will charge around an extra 36% on top of the total sum :(

About the bumpstop, i've read and read and the more i read the more confused i get with those. Is the just the bumpstop enought or do i also need to shorten the rear\front shock mount ?

About the lift, will a 3" front poly spacer and a extra 2" added to the rear shackle plus a 1" extra leaf do the job with the rancho rs9000 do the job ?

I'm asking all this because as you guys know, Jeep is an all american brand, as so, not easy to get those lift kits here, and if you do, people just simple overcharge, like, a kit that custs 750 USD here will cust around 1250 euros :( and if i order it from the states i'll have the extra 36% charge on top cause no shop send them declared as gift do to legal problems i suppose.

Besides all this, i'm also thinking on changing the current tyres for maybe some 31" mud terrain.

Sorry for all the text and thanks for all the fast help so far... more help is appreciated anyway :)

Kad.

Good luck making it work on a 4.0 - notice that it's mounted to the right-hand side of the vehicle (as you sit in the driver's seat), which means he's probably driving a 2.5TD. The 2.5TD's intake is on the opposite side from the 4.0...

Actually i also have a 4.0L :)

the problem is that i've a GPL system installed (do you guys know what this is ?) so i had to find a solution for the lack of space near the air box.

Kad said:
About the swaybar disconnects i'll have to look for some here in europe since that unfortunly if i order it from the states the costumes (is that the right word) will charge around an extra 36% on top of the total sum :(

About the bumpstop, i've read and read and the more i read the more confused i get with those. Is the just the bumpstop enought or do i also need to shorten the rear\front shock mount ?

About the lift, will a 3" front poly spacer and a extra 2" added to the rear shackle plus a 1" extra leaf do the job with the rancho rs9000 do the job ?

I'm asking all this because as you guys know, Jeep is an all american brand, as so, not easy to get those lift kits here, and if you do, people just simple overcharge, like, a kit that custs 750 USD here will cust around 1250 euros :( and if i order it from the states i'll have the extra 36% charge on top cause no shop send them declared as gift do to legal problems i suppose.

Besides all this, i'm also thinking on changing the current tyres for maybe some 31" mud terrain.

Sorry for all the text and thanks for all the fast help so far... more help is appreciated anyway :)

Kad.
The right word is cUstoms. Close though.

Are there any European shops? Might be a tad more expensive, but then you wont have to deal with the additional cost of customs.
Also, not sure what your Euros are, but right now the US dollar is crap, so $750 USD is about $530 Euros. And your supposed to have them send it as "Used personal clothing under $20." Yes, this 50lbs. box is personal clothing...

For the bump stops, look here:
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoBumpstops.htm

Let us know if you have any more questions.

Kad said:
Actually i also have a 4.0L :)

Very cool :) The 4.0 wasn't as common in Europe - I grew up in Ireland, and virtually none of the XJs there came with that engine due to the displacement-based taxes.

the problem is that i've a GPL system installed (do you guys know what this is ?) so i had to find a solution for the lack of space near the air box.

Ah, that explains it! I'm guessing that GPL = LPG (Liquid Petroleum Gas) in English. Nice job on the snorkel, by the way.

Out of curiosity, who in the EU have you spoken with so far about lift kits? I seem to recall that as long as you've paid tax on the item in another member state, you should be able to bring it in without being charged import duties.

Starboard M said:
Are there any European shops? Might be a tad more expensive, but then you wont have to deal with the additional cost of customs.
Also, not sure what your Euros are, but right now the US dollar is crap, so $750 USD is about $530 Euros. And your supposed to have them send it as "Used personal clothing under $20." Yes, this 50lbs. box is personal clothing...

True, the exchange rate does greatly favour the Euro right now. The problem is what customs decides it's worth vs. what you actually paid for it - bringing items into the EU from non-member states can be a real hassle because of this. You can show them all the receipts that you have, but if they decide that the item would retail for a higher price in the receiving country, that's the number that duties will be assessed at.

And speaking from experience on the 'used personal clothing' front: if they open it, you're screwed. Expect penalties on top of the import duties for trying to evade it in the first place, confiscation, or a combination of the two. Anything that heavy is likely to be inspected, both by the freight company and customs. Ask me how I lost an entire engine once trying that by having it shipped in - mostly disassembled, and in separate boxes - as used parts (which technically it was)...

casm said:
True, the exchange rate does greatly favour the Euro right now. The problem is what customs decides it's worth vs. what you actually paid for it - bringing items into the EU from non-member states can be a real hassle because of this. You can show them all the receipts that you have, but if they decide that the item would retail for a higher price in the receiving country, that's the number that duties will be assessed at.

And speaking from experience on the 'used personal clothing' front: if they open it, you're screwed. Expect penalties on top of the import duties for trying to evade it in the first place, confiscation, or a combination of the two. Anything that heavy is likely to be inspected, both by the freight company and customs. Ask me how I lost an entire engine once trying that by having it shipped in - mostly disassembled, and in separate boxes - as used parts (which technically it was)...
Dont worry, I have person experience with customs. Im in Austria right now, and am more then familiar with customs and all that fun stuff.
I was joking about sending it over. Im betting a lift kit would stand out compared to "personal items."
Although, I have yet to see a package that has been opened, and several have been fairly heavy. Who knows.

And you being from Ireland, explains why you spell all funky like. :confused1

Starboard M said:
Dont worry, I have person experience with customs. Im in Austria right now, and am more then familiar with customs and all that fun stuff.
I was joking about sending it over. Im betting a lift kit would stand out compared to "personal items."

Understood :) It's surprising some of the stuff I've been able to get through in the past - but yeah, with that much invested in it it's not something you'd want to get nailed on, particularly given its relative scarcity in that part of the world.

Although, I have yet to see a package that has been opened, and several have been fairly heavy. Who knows.

It seems to be hit-or-miss. I've sent my folks stuff for months at a time that hasn't been touched, then all of a sudden *everything* is being opened.

And you being from Ireland, explains why you spell all funky like. :confused1

You'd think that after nine years here I'd've acclimatised to that part of things, but I rather like it the way it is ;) Besides, it's great for confusing people when you talk about going to buy a litre of oil...

Hello again

Ah, that explains it! I'm guessing that GPL = LPG (Liquid Petroleum Gas) in English.

Yup, you'r right :)

Returning to the bumpstoping... if i make a 2" bumpstop... wont that kinda like remove 2" of axel flex ?!?

One other thing, do you guys know if it is possible to make a xj trac-lok work at 100% lock ?

Regards...

Back