• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CRAP! Exhaust is still on crossmember!

jeepercreeperXJ

NAXJA Forum User
My exhaust has been starting to vibrate on my crossmember here and there. i did some research, and replaced my trans mount. i took it out and it was fine at first. But by the time I got back home, it was hitting again. WTF? What's causing this???

(not stealing the thread) - i've had the same exact rattle for a year, and cannot figure out how to remedy it.

is there some sort of heat resistant rubber that can be wedged between the exhaust and the crossmember??

88xjchief said:
Mine does the same thing. Its from the flex of the motor.

So would new motor mounts be a remedy then? I have replacements already, but I didn't know you had to drain the oil and move the filter elbow to change them. I just changed my oil, so I'm gonna wait till next time to swap the mounts.

It's just weird how when I look, the exhaust isn't really close to hitting, but after I do some driving and park in the same spot, it's hitting now. I can't figure it out.

My MJ doesnt do it. Im going to try this on the XJ.
014.jpg

Is your hanger busted? I had this problem and had it fixed by a welding shop for $40.

I've heard of people clamping it snug to the cross member with success.

clamping snug to the crossmember? that's a great idea...but, could you damage the exhaust pipe eventually with it snugly fixed to the crossmember?

i'm thinking the engine torquing could be a problem???

After driving it to work today, I noticed that it hits pretty bad when i'm accelerating while turning left (Like on a freeway ramp). It doesn't hit when I turn right. These symptoms give anyone ideas?

loosen the bolts to the cat flange, push cat up, hold in place, tighten bolts.

if that doesnt work, loosen down pipe from exhaust manifold, push up on cat, tighten bolts.

jeepercreeperXJ said:
I have an aftermarket header, so it's a little different.

how so? is the down pipe welded to the header? i wonder if your problem is with the length of the header and downpipe being longer than stock making the cat sit lower and closer to the cross member.

89xj said:
how so? is the down pipe welded to the header? i wonder if your problem is with the length of the header and downpipe being longer than stock making the cat sit lower and closer to the cross member.

I don't think that's it either. The header's been on for about a year now. And I'm barely getting these problems.

We have three XJs, '92, '95, and '96. Each one has a different mount at the crossmember, and the only one that doesn't rattle is the '92. It hits farther back! The FlowMaster doesn't fit right, pushing the tailpipe against the 'frame rail' just behind the axle. Anyway, I put a cat-back system on the '95, and this particular brand had a super beefy stem that jammed nice and tight into the rubber mount on the crossmember, and it doesn't allow the pipe much movement. But, the rattle persisted. I found out that the ceramic honeycomb in the cat is broken and loose, giving that nice little extra noise when you turn off the engine. So, pound on the cat and see if it rattles- not the heat shield, but the innards. Just a thought.....Ray

Guys, there's an easier, probably cheaper, and quicker remedy. Just get a big metal hose clamp, run it around the exhaust and the crossmember, tighten it up until you can't push the exhaust up anymore, and call it good. I had this done on my '88 MJ and have driven it for over 1,000 miles with no more rattling.

beaterjeepjoe said:
Guys, there's an easier, probably cheaper, and quicker remedy. Just get a big metal hose clamp, run it around the exhaust and the crossmember, tighten it up until you can't push the exhaust up anymore, and call it good. I had this done on my '88 MJ and have driven it for over 1,000 miles with no more rattling.

I have a Borla header and cat-back with a Carsound (magnaflow) cat. When I initially installed them it was kind of tough getting the cross member hanger in and everything lined up so that it hit all the hangers and didn't hit the cross member. A while back I noticed a rattle and found that the hanger had snapped off of the Borla pipe at the cross member. I did the hose clamp trick above and drove it like that for a few months. Since the Borla has a lifetime warranty they sent me a new pipe with the hanger. I have since installed the new pipe, and had the smae tough time getting everything lined up, but it's in. I'm not thrilled with the welding on the hanger and expect it to fail again. When it does I'm putting the hose clamp back on and be done with it.

BTW, I have MORE motor and t-case mounts so it's not a problem with anything sagging.

Back