• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny Issue NOT NSS

Audiophile69

NAXJA Forum User
Recently have purchased a 98 cherokee and already am having lots of problems with DTC's. To date the codes read P0443, P1495 (EVAP Codes) also P0700, P0705, P0743, P0753 (All tranny related).
Evap ones i can figure out myself but the tranny ones are a new world for me, until now i only drove manuals. I have no reverse lights and no overdrive so the first thing i checked was the neutral safety switch. Replaced it with a brand new one, no such luck. If i clear the DTC's the first time out driving i have OD but after its shut off once i won't have it again until i clear the codes again. When first purchased i did not have the 743 and 753 they appeared after the installation of the switch which was done at a garage.
I am at a loss, i haven't found any threads yet with theses symptoms although i will keep searching but until then, any feedback is welcome. Please help me. Even if you can help with the evap i will take that too. THANKS

:flame: Don't burn it yet!

P0700 = Check fluid If burnt or contaminated with metal or friction particles it probably needs rebuilt. If you adjust level re-test to make sure symtom is gone. check and adjust manual linkage if adj was necessary re-test. Inspect the following connectors for corroded, damaged loose or backed out terminal pins.
TCM
TPS
TRANSMISSION SOLENOIDS
TRANSMISSION RANGE SENSOR.
I would do this first. Clean the ones you unplug and use die-electric on them. Use electrical cleaner only!! Then I, personal opinion, would erase codes and try it to see if they come back.

P0705 = Check shifter signal. Hook up scanner and test shifter against computer and see if they match.

P0743 = Internal TCM failure = Replace TCM (98 only)

P0753 = Internal TCM failure = replace TCM (97 only)

All that to say,
Check all connections, Check fluid leval and condition.
Try these and ignore the expensive ones at first.
Hang in there and if you need more help just e-mail me
[email protected]
All info was paraphrased from Mitchell on Demand.
CP

Back